I have no idea what to do

ddcreature

I'm just starting my extended essay, it isn't due until November, but we have been advised to start thinking about topics. I really want to do my extended essay on Physics (HL) as it is my best subject. Can anyone give me any advice on what makes a good topic? I keep thinking of really complex topics which could never work (unless I had a PhD in Physics).

So far my best ideas have been:

1) How does different concentrations and temperatures of liquids affect the index of refraction for light.

2) Making and perfecting a trebuchet. This would mean finding the ideal mass, rope length, angle, etc. (Honestly, this doesn't seem at all like a good topic. But destroying stuff is fun.)

My best topics has been waves and relativity so far, they are also my favourite.

I have no idea what I am doing, and the IB Co-ordinator at my school is rubbish and hasn't given us any information. Can anyone please give me advice on what makes a good topic as I am getting rather desperate at this point. Frustration levels are going through the roof.

Edited by ddcreature

If you don't have a supervisor yet, then speak to your Physics teacher. I don't know much about physics, so I can't tell you what's appropriate or not. Discuss these ideas with your teacher and you two can brainstorm ideas together until you find the right thing to do. I did my Extended Essay in Chemistry because, like you, it's my best subject. However, from my initial idea developed another idea, and then another one, and so on, until I finally found the right one to research and this process took its time because of the amount of research I had to do. Some people can narrow down their RQ immediately, and for others it takes time. Good Luck! :)