Starting preIB

Maribell

Hey guys.

I'm a total newbie here, please don't kill me, 'kay?

Oh, and also (as you will notice) english is not my mother tongue and I'm currently only studying english 2h a week (no more is sadly scheduled or required in swedish middle school).

Today I got my preliminary acceptance information (uh the Swedish langugage have a special word for it) and I got preliminary accepted to the IB. That means that I will be attending because I will better grades this semester + they have already taken my entrance tests in consideration.

Now, because the Swedish school is really lacking compared to international schools, I want to prepare a lot for the IBDP. In Sweden it's required to attend preIB, then the real ****. What can I do now to prepare for both preIB and year 1 and year 2? I found this book list here, are IB students required to read all those books? Because then I'll need to visit the local library tomorrow and start reading, lol.

Also, can you help with finding material online? Like course work, what we will be doing in class, things that I need to know and so on.

And, do anyone know if I can start with CAS in preIB or if I've have to wait until year 1?

Thanks,

Bella

Hi,

Don't worry about your English, it's awesome, especially if you only have two lessons a week! :)

I'm not completely sure what 'Pre IB' is- they do it in the US but not in the UK so I might be of limited help but I'll do my best.

It really does depend what courses you want to do though- do you have any ideas yet?

Koura

• Like 1

Oh, well, thanks!

pre-IB is some kind of prep where I'll have to study some courses that is requierd for Swedish high school students but in english.

The school I'm attending is offering following:

1. Language A – HL and SL
English A Literature, English A Literature and Language, Swedish A Literature and Language, Self-Taught A Literature SL only

2. Second Language – HL and SL
English B, French B, Spanish A, Spanish B, Swedish B,

3. Humanities – HL and SL
History, Economics, Philosophy, Psychology

4. Science – HL and SL
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Systems and Society SL only

5. Math –Math Studies SL, Mathematics SL and HL

6. Arts – HL and SL
Visual Arts

And I would like to study as advanced english as possible because I want to study abroad and I'm also really sick of swedish, lol. Then I think I will be taking economics (instead of arts) and psychology, probs biology and as advanced math as I can stand and that I can manage. Also! I guess I'll have to take swedish as either language A or B, ugh. I'd rather study spanish but I don't think that that's even possible as english not being my mother tongue.

Edited by Maribell

Ok, well out of the subjects you're thinking about choosing, I chose English Literature and Maths (and can probably advise on biology as a lot of my friends chose that!).

If I were you, definitely start reading lots of English books- it is a funny language and it's only through experience that you can really understand the more important bits of literature and poetry. I don't know what your English reading is like (if it's like your writing then I'm sure you'll have no problem at all!) but definitely start reading lots so that when you get to IB you won't have to worry about the language and you can concentrate more on the meaning. It doesn't really matter what books you read, there are endless amounts!

As far as maths is concerned, there isn't much prep you can do really unless you start reading textbooks (urgh!). The maths course is quite straightforward though, learn it and apply it!

A lot of my friends take biology (I take physics but almost everyone else I know studies bio!) and if you want to get ahead, start having a look at books (anything with 'IB' on the front will help at this stage to be honest!).

With regards to CAS, I'm not sure how far away you are from starting the real IB, but you can't start doing CAS until you start the course (I know, how annoying!). However, I'd have a look around your town and see if there are any volunteering opportunities/projects to get involved in as you'll want to complete as much of it as possible in your first year (things start hotting up at the beginning of the second!). Send off some emails, line some stuff up for as soon as you start, and then hopefully you can finish that in your first year!

To be honest, I did very little preparation for IB (other than my GCSEs) and still am predicted 38 points. It's great that you want to prepare but don't get stressed or worried at this stage (you'll have plenty of time to do that later ;)

Do you have any other questions about IB? I've been doing it for 18 months now so can answer most worries you might have! It's not as scary as lots of people make it out to be, promise! :)

• Like 1

Oh my god thank you! I really don't understand how much this means. I'm so thankful for having someone on the other end so to say, to be able to ask and get a question instead of just trying to google stuff!

I will absolutly start reading, do you recommend reading books from this IB book list I found: http://www.westsoundacademy.org/images/stories/PDFs/ib_prl.pdf

I have an A in English, so hopefully my reading is quite good, hah!

I will start looking for biology books right now and see what I can find! :D

Urgh, CAS come to me. But yeah, there are these organisations like Rotary where I live, can it be worth to contact them?

Ohh, I don't know, I want to know everything and anything right now haha, I'm super excited! :D

Not at all, it's nice to be of help to someone on the other end, I've really enjoyed my time in IB (it's quite a rare course in the UK but I've loved it and want to spread my enthusiasm! :) ).

Hmm, that's a very long list (don't try and read them all, I haven't read most of them and I am English!!). I suppose I'm biased towards English authors, but I love George Orwell (1984 is at the top of the list, Animal Farm is also quite an interesting read). Equally, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes books are good :) I'm really into plays, and in English Lit we had to study 4 (Almost all of which are on this list); Pygmalion is meant to be good, I've seen the musical version (!) which was great but I'm not sure what the book is like. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens is good as well- a bit shorter (I don't like long books...) but a good read. It really depends what you're interested in. I also expect you might have to read some Shakespeare if you want to do English Lit- I had to read Hamlet (When I say 'read', I only ever read the synopsis on wikipedia...), but my favourite is 'Twelfth Night'. if you do decide to read Shakespeare though, just be aware that it is not Modern English, it's English from the 1600s, which was very different, so get a version which has translation in the margins!

Rotary is great, and any other charities which will fulfill the 'service' part of CAS. What do you want to do in the future (post IB, if you can look that far yet!)? That might help you to make a decision about what CAS you might want to do as it's a great thing to put on university applications.

I'm glad you're excited, it's a great course (provided you're enthusiastic and don't get too stressed!) and I've loved the last two years. How many people at your school do IB? There's often a great community between IB students.

I'd say what you should focus on is English (not saying it's bad, but it's hard to judge from a few lines of text). You have a whole year to read, watch movies etc. etc. to improve your proficiency. And I don't mean books you'll later need for the actual IB, just any books. I'm sure you know how to work on language skills so I'll stop being an annoying aunt. ;)

I'm also not a native speaker and I did the IB in a so-so school. In pre-IB, I mainly focused on getting good-enough grades in the subjects I was going to take. Other than that, I enjoyed the year. I do not recommend trying to self-study the IB material, you'll have plenty of time for that later on. Just focus on thinking what you want to do in the future, researching universities you might want to go to and their entry requirements. That's the advice I always give people at my school and it worked in every case without a problem. :)

• Like 1

Thank you guys so much. I'm reading what you are writing and taking it in lol.

When it comes to what I want to do after the IB I would like to study abroad, most likely in America because I want to move there. Maybe I'll be taking a year for studies some else where, like in Switzerland and then attending college in USA, it depends on my finicial situations (most likely very bad) and which schoolarships I can get. Working wise I actually don't know. If thought about becoming a broker, becoming a journalist or building my own business (around some kind if selling I think, I'm quite a "sales person").

In Sweden, when we start high school, we transfer schools and the high schools are often located more far away, for me it's a 40 min travel to school and 40 min home from school everyday when I start high school, so I don't really know how many kids there are on the IB. I think there were like 40 people in each grade, so total of 120!

I'd agree with Gaby, anything English is good really, even if it's just magazines or films as they help your speaking, reading, and listening all at once! :D I study HL Spanish on the IB, and I'm not a fluent speaker so I often watch Spanish films with English subtitles to help me out a little! I've also found letter writing useful- I have a friend in Spain who reads and gives me tips and stuff on how to make it better, that might be useful?

I recommend looking at UK universities too (Not that I'm biased ;) ) but they often accept IB and might be a bit closer to home (and therefore a bit cheaper as far as travel is concerned!). As far as those kind of jobs are concerned there aren't any real prerequisites for IB but it might be an idea to look at school clubs and things when you get there (my school has a newspaper club which lots of aspiring journalists go to :) ). It's never too early to start looking for work experience if you want to feel like you're preparing for the future :)

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to enjoy your free time currently. That's number one because once you start IB things just seem like a rush. While I hang out with my friends a lot, I do have to say that all my time is divided up between school, friends, and band and finding a good mix was difficult. Last semester I averaged like 2-3 hours of sleep, but now I worked things out and usually get around 7 hours of sleep. Shoot, last week I got 12 hours of sleep one night... It was lovely!

Also, for English I would not suggest reading all of those books, that list includes books I'm currently reading in English A Lit and the list is so long that I don't think you could possibly read them all in time. Maybe pick a couple that sound interesting to you and read them. Other than that I would read many different types of literature, news articles, etc to help prepare you for the language. And Oliver Twist is not short, that book is like 600 pages and a very cumbersome read. What language A are you thinking of taking, if you're not a native speaker of English, but still plan to take it as an A language, my suggestion is to take Lang/Lit because English has a lot of funny quirks that can sometimes cause difficulty in analyzing texts.

Based on your interests, I'm not sure what colleges in Europe require, but if you come study in America your classes in IB only play a minor role in your acceptance. My suggestions would probably be Swedish A SL, English B HL, History HL, Economics SL, Biology SL, and Math HL. I do know that to study Economics or Business in the UK at the top schools you need Math HL. In the US the level of math doesn't matter. Also I'd suggest not taking three essay/language based subjects at HL, but if you were up to that you could technically take Swedish, English, History, and Economics all at HL.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to message me!

• Like 1

Oliver Twist is not short, that book is like 600 pages and a very cumbersome read. What language A are you thinking of taking, if you're not a native speaker of English, but still

Sorry- I think I read a shortened version why I was younger :P

Oh, well, thanks!

pre-IB is some kind of prep where I'll have to study some courses that is requierd for Swedish high school students but in english.

The school I'm attending is offering following:

1. Language A – HL and SL

English A Literature, English A Literature and Language, Swedish A Literature and Language, Self-Taught A Literature SL only

2. Second Language – HL and SL

English B, French B, Spanish A, Spanish B, Swedish B,

3. Humanities – HL and SL

History, Economics, Philosophy, Psychology

4. Science – HL and SL

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Systems and Society SL only

5. Math –Math Studies SL, Mathematics SL and HL

6. Arts – HL and SL

Visual Arts

And I would like to study as advanced english as possible because I want to study abroad and I'm also really sick of swedish, lol. Then I think I will be taking economics (instead of arts) and psychology, probs biology and as advanced math as I can stand and that I can manage. Also! I guess I'll have to take swedish as either language A or B, ugh. I'd rather study spanish but I don't think that that's even possible as english not being my mother tongue.

Of course seeing as you haven't even completed pre-IB yet there is no point in rushing anything but you can get an idea of what you subject selection will be like. Your school seems to have a pretty good selection of subjects, this is what I suspect you will end up choosing after pre-IB;

English A SL

Swedish B HL

Economics SL/HL

Psychology HL

Biology HL/SL

Math SL

Now you can opt for having psych, bio, swedish and economics all at HL (4 HL's are allowed) but of course, a lot of people only opt for 3 HLs. Even though English is not your native language, A LOT of people take English A SL in your position so I wouldn't be scared to. I suspect that after pre-IB you will be just as capable of doing English SL as most native people, and this also allows you to skip taking all those language tests like TOEFL when you apply for university.

How does pre-IB work at your school? (lol, when I was in your position I had no idea so I will be surprised if you do). The only thing I prepared for regarding pre-IB was my motivation to learn and to attend as many classes as possible (I wasn't exactly the best student in the world before pre-IB, and my attendance record wasn't the greatest). I REALLY found that pre-IB prepared me really well for IB. It actually shocked me a little (workload wise) which I find really hilarious today because I feel like I barely had any work in pre-IB and TONS of free time especially compared to IB. In pre-IB we had to test all the different IB subjects my school had to offer except for math HL. So what my school did was have us take chemistry for the first half of one semester then biology for the second half, then physics for the first half of the second semester and geography (?) for the second half. Same with economics, sociology, history etc. I hope your school does this too because it really helps you see which subjects you like and where your strengths are. We also had english class every week for the whole year and you saw a HUGE difference in a lot of the foreign students that barely knew any english at all. Go into pre-IB with an open mind, use the time to make friends and figure out how you like to study and which subjects you like. You don't need to prepare! Pre-IB will be awesome.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hellooo! Jag är också från Sverige! (I'm also from Sweden) in swedish 😂

I'm so exited ! I'm going to start PRE-IB soon and I can't wait! I'm watching youtube videos of "Richard Thronley" and "Stephaine Castle" ! They are amazing youtubers that cover the topics biology and chemistry! Perfect because I'll be taking those as my HL subjects! Yet again CAN''T WAIT!

I'm from

Gothenburg btw. Where are you from?

Hey guys.

I'm a total newbie here, please don't kill me, 'kay?

Oh, and also (as you will notice) english is not my mother tongue and I'm currently only studying english 2h a week (no more is sadly scheduled or required in swedish middle school).

Today I got my preliminary acceptance information (uh the Swedish langugage have a special word for it) and I got preliminary accepted to the IB. That means that I will be attending because I will better grades this semester + they have already taken my entrance tests in consideration.

Now, because the Swedish school is really lacking compared to international schools, I want to prepare a lot for the IBDP. In Sweden it's required to attend preIB, then the real ****. What can I do now to prepare for both preIB and year 1 and year 2? I found this book list here, are IB students required to read all those books? Because then I'll need to visit the local library tomorrow and start reading, lol.

Also, can you help with finding material online? Like course work, what we will be doing in class, things that I need to know and so on.

And, do anyone know if I can start with CAS in preIB or if I've have to wait until year 1?

Thanks,

Bella

I will absolutly start reading, do you recommend reading books from this IB book list I found: http://www.westsoundacademy.org/images/stories/PDFs/ib_prl.pdf

Haha, you definitely don't have to read all of the positions from the list. It will take time and won't help you significantly as most of the books won't be analysed during the lessons.

In English A: Literature you will probably analyse between 10 and 15 books (for HL it would be rather 15, though I'm taking Polish A: Literature HL and have only 13 books to read). You will most likely get the list of the of books at the end of pre-IB and then it will be advisable to start reading them during sommer. You might think that you will find time for reading later (as I unfortunately thought!) but these books will be analysed very thouroughly (not only in terms of book's content but also literary allusions, stylistic, contexts of literary works and such) so it's recommended to read each of them at least twice. 

Also, I haven't done much preparation for the IB during the pre-IB and while I was struggling a bit at the beginning of IB1 I definitely don't feel like I won't be able to handle it due to my laziness one year earlier! :P IB is not that bad. It does not require tons of preparations. I guess it would have been much harder if it only took one year (then it would be literally hell on earth D:) but then you luckily have the vacation between first and second year of IB to improve your score. Plus, during pre-IB you will probably still be deciding which subjects to choose and the best thing you could do, imo, is to get firstly some information about the courses, what kind of skills they require, whether they include lots of reading or rather practical application of knowledge etc. Try not to make assumptions about the subjects in IB based on your previous academic experience. I thought that History SL will require lots of memorisation (this was how history lessons looked like in my middle school!), whereas it happened to be rather an "essay-writing" course. :P As for Polish Literature I haven't expected that it will consist of so many oral presentations. So you can see that the IB courses are quite unique.

To sum up, there isn't much you can do to prepare for the IB. What I advise you is to get some information about the courses (reading IBO's subject outlines would be very beneficial. It tells more about how the subject might look like than the textbook's content itself). Otherwise, it's good to practice English whenever you can by reading articles and books, watching movies, talking to native speakers but most generally using it as often as possible. Pre-IB should help you a lot in improving your language skills. One of my classmates has been learning English for only four years. He wouldn't have survived the IB if not 11 hours of English lessons a week in pre-IB. You should probably get as many. It's very important to know English - not only how to speak but most generally how to write interestingly, anatically and sensibly. You might think that you won't benefit greatly from your writing skills during, say, Biology lessons but the truth is that IB is very writing-heavy and even in sciency-subjects you will have to write IAs and lab reports. So this is something worth training during your pre-IB. Oh, and I forgot to say that posting on IBSurvival will develop your writing skills, that's for sure. Mine have improved greatly.  :P

Apart from that there isn't much need for preparations. And for pre-IB you don't have to prepare at all! Judging from your posts you already now English well enough to handle the pre-IB. So relax, enjoy your freedom because it will only get worse. And I really mean it.  :P

Good luck with your IB future! It's nice to see that there are people who take their academic performance so seriously. Considering the fact that you have started thinking about your subject choices so early and that you already have registrered on IBSurvival you will most likely succeed in IB. Just keep your full of excitement approach, learn from your mistakes (that's crucial!) and work consistently during three years. Once again - good luck!

And I hope that my English is clear enough. As you have probably already noticed I'm also not a native speaker.  :P

Edited by Sceptyczka
  • Like 1

I will absolutly start reading, do you recommend reading books from this IB book list I found: http://www.westsoundacademy.org/images/stories/PDFs/ib_prl.pdf

Haha, you definitely don't have to read all of the positions from the list. It will take time and won't help you significantly as most of the books won't be analysed during the lessons.

In English A: Literature you will probably analyse between 10 and 15 books (for HL it would be rather 15, though I'm taking Polish A: Literature HL and have only 13 books to read). You will most likely get the list at the of books at the end of pre-IB and then it will be advisable to start reading them during sommer. You might think that you will find time for reading later (as I unfortunately thought!) but these books will be analysed very thouroughly (not only in terms of book's content but also literary allusions, stylistic, contexts of literary works and such) so it's recommended to read each of them at least twice.

Also, I haven't done much preparation for the IB during the pre-IB and while I was struggling a bit at the beginning of IB1 I definitely don't feel like I won't be able to handle it due to my laziness one year earlier! :P IB is not that bad. It does not require tons of preparations. I guess it would have been much harder if it only took one year (then it would be literally hell on earth D:) but then you luckily have the vacation between first and second year of IB to improve your score. Plus, during pre-IB you will probably still be deciding which subjects to choose and the best thing you could do, imo, is to get firstly some information about the courses, what kind of skills they require, whether they include lots of reading or rather practical application of knowledge etc. Try not to make assumptions about the subjects in IB based on your previous academic experience. I thought that History SL will require lots of memorisation (this was how history lessons looked like in my middle school!), whereas it happened to be rather an "essay-writing" course. :P As for Polish Literature I haven't expected that it will consist of so many oral presentations. So you can see that the IB courses are quite unique.

To sum up, there isn't much you can do to prepare for the IB. What I advise is to get some information about the courses (reading IBO's subject outlines would be very beneficial. It tells more about how the subject might look like than the textbook's content itself). Otherwise, it's good to practice English whenever you can by reading articles and books, watching movies, talking to native speakers but most generally using it as often as possible. Pre-IB should help you a lot in improving your language skills. One of my classmates has been learning English for only four years. He wouldn't have survived the IB if not 11 hours of English lessons a week in pre-IB. You should probably get as many. It's very important to know English - not only how to speak but most generally how to write interestingly, anatically and sensibly. You might think that you won't benefit greatly from your writing skills during, say, Biology lessons but the truth is that IB is very writing-heavy and even in sciency-subjects you will have to write IAs and lab reports. So this is something worth training during your pre-IB. Oh, and I forgot to say that posting on IBSurvival will develop your writing skills, that's for sure. Mine have improved greatly. :P

Apart from that there isn't much need for preparations. And for pre-IB you don't have to prepare at all! Judging from your posts you already now English well enough to handle the pre-IB. So relax, enjoy your freedom because it will only get worse. And I really mean it. :P

Good luck with your IB future! It's nice to see that there are people who take their academic performance so seriously. Considering the fact that you have started thinking about your subject choices so early and that you already have registrered on IBSurivival you will most likely succeed in IB. Just keep your full of excitement approach, learn from your mistakes (that's crucial!) and work consistently during three years. Once again - good luck!

And I hope that my English is clear enough. As you have probably already noticed I'm also not a native speaker. :P

Thank you for this explication! It has help me alot! You are a doll! Have you graduated? I'm beginning my first year if PRE-IB in august this year! In sweden though! Can't wait! Thank you yet again! 😆

• 2 weeks later...

In English A: Literature you will probably analyse between 10 and 15 books (for HL it would be rather 15, though I'm taking Polish A: Literature HL and have only 13 books to read). You will most likely get the list at the of books at the end of pre-IB and then it will be advisable to start reading them during sommer. You might think that you will find time for reading later (as I unfortunately thought!) but these books will be analysed very thouroughly (not only in terms of book's content but also literary allusions, stylistic, contexts of literary works and such) so it's recommended to read each of them at least twice.

Also, I haven't done much preparation for the IB during the pre-IB and while I was struggling a bit at the beginning of IB1 I definitely don't feel like I won't be able to handle it due to my laziness one year earlier! :P IB is not that bad. It does not require tons of preparations. I guess it would have been much harder if it only took one year (then it would be literally hell on earth D:) but then you luckily have the vacation between first and second year of IB to improve your score. Plus, during pre-IB you will probably still be deciding which subjects to choose and the best thing you could do, imo, is to get firstly some information about the courses, what kind of skills they require, whether they include lots of reading or rather practical application of knowledge etc. Try not to make assumptions about the subjects in IB based on your previous academic experience. I thought that History SL will require lots of memorisation (this was how history lessons looked like in my middle school!), whereas it happened to be rather an "essay-writing" course. :P As for Polish Literature I haven't expected that it will consist of so many oral presentations. So you can see that the IB courses are quite unique.

To sum up, there isn't much you can do to prepare for the IB. What I advise is to get some information about the courses (reading IBO's subject outlines would be very beneficial. It tells more about how the subject might look like than the textbook's content itself). Otherwise, it's good to practice English whenever you can by reading articles and books, watching movies, talking to native speakers but most generally using it as often as possible. Pre-IB should help you a lot in improving your language skills. One of my classmates has been learning English for only four years. He wouldn't have survived the IB if not 11 hours of English lessons a week in pre-IB. You should probably get as many. It's very important to know English - not only how to speak but most generally how to write interestingly, anatically and sensibly. You might think that you won't benefit greatly from your writing skills during, say, Biology lessons but the truth is that IB is very writing-heavy and even in sciency-subjects you will have to write IAs and lab reports. So this is something worth training during your pre-IB. Oh, and I forgot to say that posting on IBSurvival will develop your writing skills, that's for sure. Mine have improved greatly. :P

Apart from that there isn't much need for preparations. And for pre-IB you don't have to prepare at all! Judging from your posts you already now English well enough to handle the pre-IB. So relax, enjoy your freedom because it will only get worse. And I really mean it. :P

Good luck with your IB future! It's nice to see that there are people who take their academic performance so seriously. Considering the fact that you have started thinking about your subject choices so early and that you already have registrered on IBSurivival you will most likely succeed in IB. Just keep your full of excitement approach, learn from your mistakes (that's crucial!) and work consistently during three years. Once again - good luck!

And I hope that my English is clear enough. As you have probably already noticed I'm also not a native speaker. :P

Thank you for this explication! It has help me alot! You are a doll! Have you graduated? I'm beginning my first year if PRE-IB in august this year! In sweden though! Can't wait! Thank you yet again!

Hi, thanks. Glad you like it and sorry for answering so late. :) I'm graduating next year in April and taking IB exams in May 2015 (so after graduation).

Edited by Sceptyczka