Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snipshot

IA (HL)
Math HL IA help

I am in grade 10 and we are preparing for IB so in school we have to do a math ia and i am preparing to take math HL so i am trying to find a topic. Are there any topics that is sutiable for math HL and something that i can do on my own without the teachers help.

Is pascals triange math hl or sl?

You can go deeper into the topic and talk about stuff not in the syllabus to fit it into the HL criteria, but the Pascal's triangle itself is SL or below (I said below because the examiners will clearly not appreciate a candidate drawing out the Pascal's triangle to do binomial expansion even for SL).

Why are you doing a math IA now? You won't even have the knowledge in math HL and I don't think the teachers would expect you to self-study the syllabus to write an IA that's "suitable for math HL". If that's for MYP you only need to use the knowledge learned in MYP.

1 person likes this

You can go deeper into the topic and talk about stuff not in the syllabus to fit it into the HL criteria, but the Pascal's triangle itself is SL or below (I said below because the examiners will clearly not appreciate a candidate drawing out the Pascal's triangle to do binomial expansion even for SL).

Why are you doing a math IA now? You won't even have the knowledge in math HL and I don't think the teachers would expect you to self-study the syllabus to write an IA that's "suitable for math HL". If that's for MYP you only need to use the knowledge learned in MYP.

i'm just trying to find a topic that is sutiable for math HL but the math i will be using will be easier

i'm just trying to find a topic that is sutiable for math HL but the math i will be using will be easier

Then how is that suitable for math HL? You wouldn't even know most of the stuff in the syllabus.

Please take a look at my guide here - it contains all the topics that are in the HL syllabus but not the SL, and discusses the IA as well. Let me know if you have any questions outside of that!