ReeticaP

I wan to do my EE essay on The Kite Runner and the metaphorical significance of scars and deformitites in that particular book but then I talked to my teacher and she suggested that I do a comparative essay or else my original topic is also alright. So I'm kind of stuck at the moment! What should I do?? Please please help and suggest something /:

For some reason English EE supervisors really seem to encourage their students to write comparative essays (I think it's category 1) but if you don't want to compare, be stubborn and don't do it! I really didn't want to write a comparative EE (although it is rumoured to be easier to score higher if you do compare two or three works). My boyfriend has read the Kite Runner so I am familiar with it (but not enough to advise you on a topic) but please keep in mind that you have to choose a thesis big enough to be able to stretch it across 4000 words. Do you think the metaphorical significance as a topic is big enough?

Take my EE as an example, I wanted to discuss the effects of a materialistic environment on the characters within a novel. However, after much discussion with my teacher and rereading the novel I realized I needed to connect the characters together and I found a pattern - That they are all really isolated, but in very different ways. So in the end the title of my EE was ''An exploration of Geoff Nicholson's use of solitude in the materialistic setting of Everything and More - And my thesis was: This essay explores the different depictions of solitude in the materialistic setting of Everything & More and analyzes its effect on characterization.

I could have EASILY written 6000 words on my topic, so it was arguable too broad but I really tried to make it work. The most difficult part of my EE was cutting down and editing, because I had too much material. But just make sure you either incorporate your topic into a slightly larger research question, or find enough material on your topic because you don't want to be struggling to hit the 3000 word mark, quite the contrary in fact. Also keep in mind, if you do go my route you will have to find secondary sources (creatively) and you also might do well by reading a few other works written by the same author (I did that too) to make brief connections.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey! Thank you so much! (:

My teacher said that this book has been done by many students so it wouldn't help me score that well, so I looked up some more books and found The Book Thief and the element of abandonment employed in it but I also want to do poetry because that interests me so my teacher advised me to look up WB Yeats and I thought of doing the conflicting dualities in WB Yeats' poetry. Is that alright? I will be working on four different poems by him that has the same topic! (:

Thanks!