Group 4 project topics

Guest yeemonkyaw

Hi, my school introduced the whole Group 4 project to us yesterday, and in about three weeks we will have an entire day set aside for conducting experiments and presenting our project to the rest of the class. I've been appointed the team leader and our team has been named 'Sir Isaac Newton' (it's a new idea set up by the school this year - we have to base our project on some aspect of our scientist's life/contribution to the world of science.)

I could really use some advice - I thought we could maybe do something based on the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico - like looking at the effect on the ecosystem (bio), looking at the make-up of oil (chem) and looking at possible solutions, like constructing something - using the laws of motion and gravity - that could solve the leak. The main issue though is what would we conduct our experiment on exactly? Any ideas or suggestions? Would serrriously appreciate some right now - oh and by the way, we're in Czech Republic (middle of Europe) in case that has any impact on how to do this ...

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds like an interesting project. Hmm maybe if you find a liquid as viscous as crude oil and get a long aquarium where you could get a fan to create ripples or something? I'm not sure how you'd make a solution for this, but I don't think replication of the problem would be too terribly hard, if you're willing to compromise on some details :ban:

You might have already thought of something better or changed your topic. G'luck with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We need to submit a group 4 topic soon! But, our school did not give us a clear idea of what the group 4 project is.

My group has students from the 3 sciences, biology, chemistry, and physics.

So, does this mean we have to choose a main idea, and do 3 different experiments (one for each science) that are related to the main idea?

OR should we choose one experiment, and determine how it is related to physics, biology, and chemistry.

If it is neither of the two options, can someone please explain what the group 4 project is about?

I'm kinda really confused and stressed out because of it.

Can someone help me? :P

Oh and they made it clear to us that the project must be based on experiments and nothing theoretical..

Edited by Robzek

• 3 months later...

Our school asks the group 4 to work on 3 sciences and limits this years topics with "Energy."

So my group picked the subtitle "Light energy"

In Physics, we are investigating how is the angle of deflection affects the rate of photosynthesis in plants,

In Chemistry, we are investigating how is the time of exposure to light affects the decomposition of Vitamin C in plants

In Biology ofcourse, we are investigating how are different wavelengths of light affects the rate of photosynthesis

easy cheesy :)

• 2 months later...

Our theme was 'Increase and Decrease'.

Our title was how the cholestrol and glucose-level in blood changed during a high dosage/intake of; A) Fat B)Carbohydrates C)Caffeine and D) Proteins

We were four and what we then basically did was that for one day we went on a strict diet. No breakfast and etc. Blood samples were taken. Then our lunch then consisted of the following.1 person ate pure butter (that had say over 70% of fat), another drank very very strong concentrated coffee, another drank protein drinks/powder and another (me) ate sugarcubes (33 in total!!! I have never appriciated my toothbrush and toothpaste so much before). Then we took blood samples again and saw the difference.

I find it so amusing because even though I ate so much carbohydrates, my blood-glucose level went down meh. Oh and we taped it all and came 2nd place in the contest :D

How did your group measure the concentration of glucose/fat in blood? How long did it take your group to finish this?

• 1 month later...

Crime Scene: Suicide or Murder?

I am representing Chemistry and I am a group leader -_-

Our teachers gave us a picture of a crime scene. It's basically a picture of a man lying on the floor -- dead -- on 3rd December at 2 AM. Then we are to guess whether it's a suicide or a murder by looking at various objects shown in the picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Our G4 was really cool, we had a crime scene set up at school and we had to figure out who was the murderer, what was the motive, cause or death etc. There was lots of chemistry and bio involved, and abit of physics but not so much. Overall it was a really cool G4 and everyone in my grade really enjoyed it, and we all ended up getting 6's with a few people getting 5.

I would definatly recommend it! :)

Ours was right around the time the gulf oil spill happened, so that was our theme. The question was "Should we keep drilling offshore?" and each group in my school looked at it from a different point of view, like from BPs, the government's, etc. It was OK, not as much fun as I thought it would be.

• 2 weeks later...

Our group 4 theme was to do with Qatar (the country we're from) getting the bid for the world cup in 2022. We were given the theme " Environment and Sports" and basically we have a free reign on the interpretation of that and what experiments to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Our group 4 theme was weather. I decided to do it in Physics HL with other people taking the course. Even though subtopics relating to physics are potentially very interesting, due to time constraints, we picked kind of a horrible topic that had more to do with geography than physics :P (how latitude affects average temperature and a comparison of this for the eastern and western hemispheres).

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Crime Scene: Suicide or Murder?

I am representing Chemistry and I am a group leader sleep.gif

Our teachers gave us a picture of a crime scene. It's basically a picture of a man lying on the floor -- dead -- on 3rd December at 2 AM. Then we are to guess whether it's a suicide or a murder by looking at various objects shown in the picture.

Our G4 was really cool, we had a crime scene set up at school and we had to figure out who was the murderer, what was the motive, cause or death etc. There was lots of chemistry and bio involved, and abit of physics but not so much. Overall it was a really cool G4 and everyone in my grade really enjoyed it, and we all ended up getting 6's with a few people getting 5.

I would definatly recommend it! smile.gif

this sounds really COOL but I don't really know how we could relate this one to an experiment (bio and physics in our group) :P.

I'm a little disturbed by the fact that there are so many people with experiments for their projects, and that we didn't. All we had was a day to do research - no self-constructed evidence at all! It would have been much cooler if we could have done that, but that's how life goes...

Oh, and our theme was 'Travel', and our topic was on the spin-offs of NASA research, and whether space-research is a waste of money. Interesting stuff.

Our class' theme is the effect of human impact on the environment, and we are specifically studying the impact that paved roads has had. I live in Northern Canada and there's a lot of beautiful conservation areas nearby, and we are conducting experiments there.

Our groups subtopics are soil horizons, ground temperature, vegetation and plant life, and insect variety/population (the last one is me. hehe.) :)

• 4 months later...

Our topic was Circus and we did loads of different experiments. elephant toothpaste, carbon snake, dry ice bombs etc. We did loads of different experiments that all related to one topic. You don't have to stick to one sub topic. You're allowed to branch out to as many different things as you want