Falling behind. Any tips?

Tristan_Duke

Hi,

So here's the deal. I'm falling behind in math, I have barely any notes and what I do have Aren't the best. My work ethic in that class is trash and I really need tips on what I can do to at least boost my chances on getting a 4 in the class. Really can't risk having a low mark in that class and its becoming such a struggle to try and even catch up. Any suggestions on what I can do to bring myself back to where I need to be would help severely. Thank you

-Tristan

Edited by Tristan_Duke
  • Like 1

Lol, I like your tags.

Well, I have to say I have less sympathy for you since Math HL is destroying me right now and you're in SL, but here are some quick tips:

When you start a new unit, pay attention at the beginning! If you get behind and miss the foundation for a topic the rest becomes nearly impossible!

Talk with people who do have notes and see if they need them, or if they could make a copy for you. In the future, make your own or create some sort of study group arrangement. Have people type up notes in a Google Doc or something for everyone to share.

It is really hard to catch up. You might need to get a tutor or talk with the teacher about the specific topics and start from scratch.

• Like 1

Agreed with Thrashmaster; if you have generous friends with good notes then don't hesitate to leech off them! That's what one of my friends did to me :P Also what I found really helpful (unfortunately I discovered it only when we were doing our last chapter) is to read the textbook notes before your class starts the unit, and so when your teacher teaches it to you, you'll already have a general if not basic idea about it.

I made notes based on the textbook notes and went through all the examples before my teacher taught them to us in class and it really helped my understanding because we did more exercises to practice and etc.
Also if you can, get a maths tutor. If you've never had a tutor before in all your education history, it may feel weird at first, but trust me, it really helps. I've never had a tutor until the last year of IB and although I was self-conscious about my weaker areas in maths, she is really helping me a lot once I learned to let her help me. I got a 5 in my mocks by revising myself, but we did another mock last week and I got a 7 (if not, high 6 - not sure about the boundaries) for paper 1, which I'm pretty proud of.

Don't feel too stressed yet - you still have another year to go, so plenty of time to catch up and stay on top of your work!

Hey! I'm sorry to hear that. I see that you only have your exams in 1 year. You still have time to get back on track. If you have the ability to study on your own, go on youtube and search for the topics that you have difficulties. Try to understand it and then solve problems on it. The IB, specially mathematics is a lot about practice and learning to do solve things the IB way. Do lots of problems. The concepts are fairly simple, the problem is that if you don't practice enough you can't get any good results. You will get to the point that you've done so many problems that even if in the exam they change it a bit, you know how to solve it right away. This happened to me and that's because I solved all past papers. If you don't know where to start, reach me either through my website or my facebook profile. Now, just like Chio said, getting a tutor is actually a good idea. I didn't have on for Math HL but I did for Physics HL and it helped me a lot. I'm actually about to launch an online tutoring program through the website that I've shared here. I'm not saying that you have to join. If you want, feel free to check it out and see if it fits your needs. I understand not everyone is comfortable being tutor online, but it's an awesome experience. Whether you think that I can help you or not, try to figure out whether you can study efficiently and effectively by yourself, and if not finding tutor is the best option you have :/
I wish the best. And if you need anything feel free to connect :)

• Like 1