Extended Essay in Computer Science (HELP)

FFFKKK

I have decided to do an Extended Essay in Computer Science although I have Computer Science as a standard level course. I am facing the following difficulties:

1) My computer science teacher (the only one we have in our IB) is not very helpful and does not give me any feedback on whether the topic that i have chosen is appropriate for an EE.

2) Everybody tells me that an extended essay in CS is extremely hard and it will take a lot of my time so i won't be able to study as much for the rest of my subjects and complete other tasks.

3) I can't find any sources which can help me figure out the topic of my Extended Essay by myself since my teacher is not helping me.

A topic that interests me is Natural Language Processing but it is part of Artificial Intelligence, a rather complex topic of computer science. I have done some research and found information concerning NLP but i cannot go in depth as my current knowledge is not sufficient.

Will I manage to do an EE in computer science properly or should I pick another subject? How can I find an appropriate topic?

I am really nervous about finding a topic for my extended essay.. If you can help me I would be more than grateful!

Thank you

IB PROGRAM:

Math, Physics, Economics HL

Computer Science, English, Modern SL

Overall: 38 (without bonus points)

My school told required that our EE subject be an HL class. It looks like you are taking Computer Science as an SL student. If everyone says it is really hard to begin with, and you aren't even in the full HL class, my first inclination is that it isn't right for you.

I'd recommend looking into Math, Physics, or Economics for topics. But do find something you're interested in - it makes it a lot easier, and is something moderators like to see!

Edited by Thrashmaster
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have decided to do an Extended Essay in Computer Science although I have Computer Science as a standard level course. I am facing the following difficulties:

1) My computer science teacher (the only one we have in our IB) is not very helpful and does not give me any feedback on whether the topic that i have chosen is appropriate for an EE.

2) Everybody tells me that an extended essay in CS is extremely hard and it will take a lot of my time so i won't be able to study as much for the rest of my subjects and complete other tasks.

3) I can't find any sources which can help me figure out the topic of my Extended Essay by myself since my teacher is not helping me.

A topic that interests me is Natural Language Processing but it is part of Artificial Intelligence, a rather complex topic of computer science. I have done some research and found information concerning NLP but i cannot go in depth as my current knowledge is not sufficient.

Will I manage to do an EE in computer science properly or should I pick another subject? How can I find an appropriate topic?

I am really nervous about finding a topic for my extended essay.. If you can help me I would be more than grateful!

Thank you

IB PROGRAM:

Math, Physics, Economics HL

Computer Science, English, Modern SL

Overall: 38 (without bonus points)

I did my essay in comp sci and I don't believe it was anymore work than doing it in another topic. However my teacher told me EEs in the sciences do much better if they are based around an experiment (as mine was). An experiment might also give you a good starting point for research but I'm not really sure if you could create an experiment that encompasses some part of natural language processing in a reasonable amount of time. I also had a good base of knowledge before starting my EE which is a huge plus and likely saved me hours of research. Maybe approach your teacher with a list of 10 or so research questions and see if they can help you narrow it down to 1 or 2, but then again, if you can't find any good sources and your not confident in your current knowledge of the topic it might be best to change your focus.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...