IB Retakes

Dangalang

I am retaking the IB this year in the examination May 2014. Last year I got 25 points and was not awarded the IB Diploma due to the fact that I had two 2s. I registered retakes for subjects in which I have already decent grades and I wondered what happens if I get lower grades than in my original exams. Do the best scores get taken? What if I decide to focus on eliminating one 2 and just ignore the other subjects? To get in my university of choice I only need the diploma.

Basically:

Can I get lower grades or do the best ones count?

If yes, could I not turn up for English where I got a 6 and still retain the 6?

Unfortunately sweetie, if you get lower grades than last year, the ones from this year count regardless. As far as I know, if you have been registered for English this year, then you have to show up (otherwise you won't get a grade on your diploma for it and thus fail). I think they only make exceptions in very special cases. So overall, the best scores don't get taken, you have to actively try to do better this year than last year and you have to retake all the exams your IB coordinator registered you for this year. So how many subjects were you re-registered to retake?

Edit: This is something your IB coordinator really should have emphasized to you, when you were re-registering. Some IB coordinator...

Edited by Babydolleyes
  • Like 1

Unfortunately sweetie, if you get lower grades than last year, the ones from this year count regardless. As far as I know, if you have been registered for English this year, then you have to show up (otherwise you won't get a grade on your diploma for it and thus fail). I think they only make exceptions in very special cases. So overall, the best scores don't get taken, you have to actively try to do better this year than last year and you have to retake all the exams your IB coordinator registered you for this year. So how many subjects were you re-registered to retake?

Edit: This is something your IB coordinator really should have emphasized to you, when you were re-registering. Some IB coordinator...

Thanks for taking time to answer. I assumed that the higher grade would be taken because in most programs that seems to be the case. (GCSE, A Levels, SAT) To make sure I contacted the IB office in Switzerland two times and I was told that the higher grade will be taken for your IB Diploma. You cannot go lower. Seems to make sense. I registered to retake my English Internal Assessments (There were 3 in total) but I then decided to only do 1 because the other two were good enough. The 2 old ones and the new one were sent away.

Edited by Dangalang

Wow, I'm very surprised - But I must have been told the wrong information (I swear I read it officially on IBO's website too though). I decided to verify the information just to be on the safe side and according to this document:

http://www.ibo.org/documentlibrary/regs_ibworldschools/documents/DP_regs_en.pdf

and some others I have found, the grade you obtain can never be worse than what you obtained during the last session. It can either get better or stay the same. I did my Danish anticipated and was 1 mark away from a 7 and I was repeatedly told not to bother with retaking it with my finals a year later, because worst case scenario I might get overwhelmed by my other subjects and lose my 6...

I guess you're not the one with the lousy IBC afterall!! I really apologize for giving you the wrong information. According to this, you can skip the English exam and still keep your 6.

Sorry again!

Edited by Babydolleyes