Biology HL TZ1 Paper 3

Loganator

This paper was a dream! I did option H and E as well ;), everything I didn't manage to cram in wasn't on the paper.. I was screaming internally. The data base questions definitely weren't as easy as some other years, like those damn rats.

Lol i know!! We did those options mostly 'cause it fits in with some of the core stuff. Haha, same here! I was hoping there wouldn't be any Hemoglobin oxygen curves and explaining them :urgh: I was confused with why the bird song was 6 marks

Ahh i hated the rat question!!! What was with all those extra rat groups? Unnecessary info much

• Like 1

This paper was a dream! I did option H and E as well ;), everything I didn't manage to cram in wasn't on the paper.. I was screaming internally. The data base questions definitely weren't as easy as some other years, like those damn rats.

Lol i know!! We did those options mostly 'cause it fits in with some of the core stuff. Haha, same here! I was hoping there wouldn't be any Hemoglobin oxygen curves and explaining them :urgh: I was confused with why the bird song was 6 marks

Ahh i hated the rat question!!! What was with all those extra rat groups? Unnecessary info much

I think the bird song question will be rather broad in the mark scheme, I was really surprised to see it be assigned 6 marks too. I scrawled down a whole page of information hoping I hit on enough points! These data based questions were actually some of the worst I've ever done; they were so weird, and yeah those rat groups threw me off tbh :surrender: All hail the IB for knowing how to piss students off... losing marks on silly data base questions that make up like 1/3 of the exam

I think the bird song question will be rather broad in the mark scheme, I was really surprised to see it be assigned 6 marks too. I scrawled down a whole page of information hoping I hit on enough points! These data based questions were actually some of the worst I've ever done; they were so weird, and yeah those rat groups threw me off tbh :surrender: All hail the IB for knowing how to piss students off... losing marks on silly data base questions that make up like 1/3 of the exam

Hopefully :/ and yeah so did I, but idk the syllabus didn't go too in-depth with it, I just talked about how some of it is innate, patially learned, mimicked by other birds, mimicked from mobile phones, etc. LOL I was confused with heart rate and blood pressure, like doesn't pressure decrease if your heart rate decreases? What did you put for the last question in the bees data one?

Hopefully :/ and yeah so did I, but idk the syllabus didn't go too in-depth with it, I just talked about how some of it is innate, patially learned, mimicked by other birds, mimicked from mobile phones, etc. LOL I was confused with heart rate and blood pressure, like doesn't pressure decrease if your heart rate decreases? What did you put for the last question in the bees data one?

I was reaching on that one... Basically I said that perhaps the bees only collect enough nectar to feed the colony and food consumption could change from day to day. Also, the bees could have been having to travel further, since the bees "collection rate" was being determined by the time it took for them to go out and come back and the amount of nectar they collected. I also said weather could have had a factor on their collecting rate :P. It was so bull**** lol :(

Also are you talking about the ventilation one or still the data base with the hear rate and blood pressure? In the ventilation one I talked about the chemosensors in the aorta/carotid arteries detecting the change in the pH of the blood due to the increased CO2 concentration that transmit messages to the breathing center to increase the ventilation. If you are talking about the rat one, I honestly didn't know what I was writing for that cold water/warm water one; I talked about how when your body is colder the heart has to increase in heart rate to pump warm blood to colder extremities faster... literally DO NOT KNOW haha. And year, I would think that heart rate decreases when pressure decreases o.O

I did ecology and conservation along with neurobiology and behavior. There were two questions I had problems with :( The bird song one completely threw we off guard, because 6 marks just seemed like way too much for it.... and I only ended up getting in about 4-5 points. I also had a problem with the invasive species one, which seemed like way overkill because I forget exactly how many marks it was, but it was worth more than what my book covered lol.

I did ecology and conservation along with neurobiology and behavior. There were two questions I had problems with :( The bird song one completely threw we off guard, because 6 marks just seemed like way too much for it.... and I only ended up getting in about 4-5 points. I also had a problem with the invasive species one, which seemed like way overkill because I forget exactly how many marks it was, but it was worth more than what my book covered lol.

I agree with you on the bird song one, Although it seemed like a pretty fair question I was also thrown off because the syllabus doesn't cover much about it :( depending on how they feel this year, I feel like they're going to want specific examples of birds, etc

I also did options E and H. I guess all the canadian students went with E and H, eh ;)

For the bird song question, I included things you guys talked about along with attracting the other gender partners and natural selection.

Gotta say I was lost with a part of the rat question where I had to suggest reasons for the change in heart rate and blood pressure in cold water, but meh

• 7 months later...