Unable to take physics in HS

pzza

Hello everyone!

I think I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm about to enter the 12th grade and I'm doing the IB. When choosing my six subjects, as a science I put Physics as a first choice and Chemistry as a second. As a sixth subject, I chose Computer Science, because I am very interested in it and plan to have a career in it. Turns out the Computer Science class was at the same time as the Physics class, so I was assigned to Chemistry.

Now that I'm looking at universities, I'm seeing that if I want to study Computer Science it is at engineering campuses/schools where they require you to have taken BOTH chemistry and physics! Am I overlooking something or am I actually screwed!? I'm really starting to get worried.

Thanks.

I don't know how i can help you, but to cheer you a up a bit: in my school there was a similar situation with a few people, they couldn't take some subjects becasue of the timetable, what they did was to first write letter to headmaster and when he said he can't help they said they'll send letter to ibo. and what's funny :) this certainly helped :) ) i think that if you show particular requirements from the uni you want to go to, thay will make it out somehow

If I'm not mistaken, the average US student not doing IB doesn't have the choice of taking Computer Science as a subject. Therefore, if your university demands both phys&chem, you could drop comp sci and just do those two, right? I know it sounds stupid, but if it gets you to the uni of your pick, why not?

That is exactly what I am going through. Since I was the only IB Physics student, they decided to cancel the subject. Now the old principle told me that I would be able to have a normal HS Physics class in 12 grade. Now that he is gone, I am a bit worried too.

I think (not sure) that there are legal requirements that enable you to be able to have physics, as this is one basic science and a requirement for many university programs. (at least it is here i think) but how come only one IB physics student?? seems strange to me...

I think (not sure) that there are legal requirements that enable you to be able to have physics, as this is one basic science and a requirement for many university programs. (at least it is here i think) but how come only one IB physics student?? seems strange to me...

Of course there aren't legal requirements. No one is forced to take the IB diploma, they could do the normal studentexamen (is that what how you Swedes call it, or does it have another name there?) instead if they want to study physics...

how big is your IB program? cause just 1 physics students sounds little to me, as many people in my school take physics.

it's an important subject when trying to get into uni later

Well Bahrain in itself is a really tiny island, we have 10 IB schools and not a lot of students opt to do Physics in my school and move on to another because they're specialized in Physics IB. We have currently 19 students doing IBDP in my school.