A senior was killed in palestine several hours ago

Such a sad loss of life. Pray for those in Syria and Palestine, the innocent and the young who are being killed off :( I see you're a palestinian, and I am a syrian - we're all in this together.

ohh hello all the palestinians here pray for syria what you are facing is very hard inshallah soon every thing will be better and we will be able to live a normal life like normal people :'( the problem is that the world is not doing any thing to help 5 minutes after he was killed a 22 years old guy was also killed by the same soldier!

• Like 2

Guest Marioti

Wow I hope all gets better and that other students stay safe as well :/

This is terrible

I really do hope this soldier gets some sort of consequence but well, all just hope

What? So the soldier shot him out of nowhere?!

yess yess man his school bag is still on his back look at the photo .. 5 minutes later the soldier killed another 22 years old man in the same bad way there was 5 bullets in his body because the soldier knows he is gonna get a gift for killing innocent palestinian people!

This is terrible

I really do hope this soldier gets some sort of consequence but well, all just hope

i also hope so but I'm sad to tell you that the only thing he will get is a gift because he killed them, the same soldier and 5 minutes later killed another 22 years old man, there was 5 bullets in his body!! and the problem is that the international news agencies didn't even mention the story as if we are not humans!

I know this is a serious situation for you but I'd appreciate it if you could clarify a few points.

What? So the soldier shot him out of nowhere?!

yess yess man his school bag is still on his back look at the photo .. 5 minutes later the soldier killed another 22 years old man in the same bad way there was 5 bullets in his body because the soldier knows he is gonna get a gift for killing innocent palestinian people!

"get gift for killing innocent palestinian people!"

Okay, the innocent bit I understand but "get gift"? I don't think the Israeli army works on an incentive method of rewarding every soldier with every kill they make. It doesn't seem to make sense. How are you going to keep track of all the kills a single soldier makes let alone a few thousand? What would the "gift" be? Cash? Women? Promotions? Food? Incentives for killing would just increase the military budget so it is likely that the Israeli government would not allow it for economic reasons.

Also, the "5 bullets" thing isn't excessive at it may seem. The Israeli army mainly uses rifles chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO for their infantry which isn't a perfect manstopper - i.e it incapacitates or kills the target in one shot - unless it hit a vital organs or the spine. It's not a perfect manstopper because the 5.56x45mm NATO as the name suggests is a bullet of diameter of 5mm, which is pretty small and doesn't create a large a hole when penetrating a body then say a 7.62x51mm NATO(bullets generally used in battle rifles and sniper rifles) even after it expanded, tumbled and yawed in the body.

Thus, to get an ensured kill or incapacitation, it would be normal for the soldier to shoot multiple times. Shooting the boy once and letting him bleed out in agony would be more cruel. The soldier was just likely following their training and not being excessively cruel. Also, you have to know that shooting a gun is very difficult. Every minute muscle twitch or motion of our bodies throw the shooter's aim off the target. The soldier shot multiple times so that his chance of hitting the target would increase. He probably doesn't even know how many times he shot the boy since it is likely that he missed just as many times as he shot at the boy. It may seem like I defending the soldier but I think we should look at the whole situation more objectively since we are IB students after all.

This is terrible

i also hope so but I'm sad to tell you that the only thing he will get is a gift because he killed them, the same soldier and 5 minutes later killed another 22 years old man, there was 5 bullets in his body!! and the problem is that the international news agencies didn't even mention the story as if we are not humans!

"the problem is that the international news agencies didn't even mention the story as if we are not humans!"

This is a big issue for you and we respect your opinion. But you know what really grinds my gears? When international news agencies don't pay enough attention to Japan's constant denial of the numerous heinous crimes they committed during the occupation of Korea and their justification of the colonisation of Korea which left Korea in a 3rd world country status after liberation. It's unfair and stupid. I mean its like they don't really take Korea seriously!

Do you see the similarities? The world simply cannot keep track of all the misery and injustice that is happening. You have to realise that some people really don't care. The international news agencies don't think that you guy's aren't humans. They have limited resources so it wouldn't be possible for them to keep track of every unjust thing that may be happening. While making priorities on what they report, your tragedy was unfortunately overlooked. This may seem unfair but that is just how the world is. The world doesn't really owe you anything.

"the problem is that the international news agencies didn't even mention the story as if we are not humans!"

This is a big issue for you and we respect your opinion. But you know what really grinds my gears? When international news agencies don't pay enough attention to Japan's constant denial of the numerous heinous crimes they committed during the occupation of Korea and their justification of the colonisation of Korea which left Korea in a 3rd world country status after liberation. It's unfair and stupid. I mean its like they don't really take Korea seriously!

Do you see the similarities? The world simply cannot keep track of all the misery and injustice that is happening. You have to realise that some people really don't care. The international news agencies don't think that you guy's aren't humans. They have limited resources so it wouldn't be possible for them to keep track of every unjust thing that may be happening. While making priorities on what they report, your tragedy was unfortunately overlooked. This may seem unfair but that is just how the world is. The world doesn't really owe you anything.

The world doesn't owe us anything, maybe. But when everyone knows what's been happening and chooses to ignore it is what really hurts people more than anything. Countries like Syria and Palestine are crying for help, and countries like America and the UK can easily take action to stop what's happening but they choose not to. Why not? We're as much human as anyone else on this planet, surely the suffering of other human beings is enough for mankind to step up and try to defend the innocent. Obviously the world can't track every event, but those which are major are skimmed over, while the governments try to distract people's attention from the bigger picture and let the wars boil on without them receiving any attention - they're covered briefly in the news and then they're out of the picture. The question we should be asking ourselves and the governments, who hold a large amount of power is, why is helping others such a difficult chore and where has our sense of humanity gone?

• Like 1

hahahahah by a gift i didn't mean literally a gift, look at the photo in the next comment I'm going to write since i cannot post a photo in a quote, this is a photo for the israeli sniper before shooting a child he posted it on his instagram account because he is proud of what he is doing, and because he knows that his leaders will feel happy about this photo, this is what they call humanity, this is what they call democracy. man he shoot him another 4 bullets after he was already dead, he was already on the ground and the sniper knew he was already dead, he is a sniper he shot him in his heart and he knew he died but he felt that he needs to shoot more maybe to go and make a post on Facebook about it! to show his friends what he did today, so that they feel proud about him, and the gift he receives is that he is going to be treated like a champion now. there is a video showing the moment he shoot another guy 5 minutes after he killed this guy he was smiling while shooting him!! Maybe he felt that the books in the guys back bag are dangerous and he is going to use them to kill him! And the problem is that this is happening every day and then the israeli president goes and say "palestinians don't want peace!!"

And about the news agencies issue "A cat saved a child video is going viral on internet" on cnn website is more important than these children being killed they didn't even mention them none of the news agencies mentioned them, because israel well feel sad if they said the truth!

The world doesn't owe us anything, maybe. But when everyone knows what's been happening and chooses to ignore it is what really hurts people more than anything. Countries like Syria and Palestine are crying for help, and countries like America and the UK can easily take action to stop what's happening but they choose not to. Why not? We're as much human as anyone else on this planet, surely the suffering of other human beings is enough for mankind to step up and try to defend the innocent. Obviously the world can't track every event, but those which are major are skimmed over, while the governments try to distract people's attention from the bigger picture and let the wars boil on without them receiving any attention - they're covered briefly in the news and then they're out of the picture. The question we should be asking ourselves and the governments, who hold a large amount of power is, why is helping others such a difficult chore and where has our sense of humanity gone?

what you said is 100% right :) and i believe that they are able to solve all of these problems within several days, but they get benefits from whats going on thats why they don't want anybody to know about whats going on in palestine or syria .. inshallah soon everything will be better and i believe that things are going to be better with such champions like this guy :D

• Like 1

EDIT: Just note that I didn't see any comment following Sameera's response to JYC when I started to write this!

Sad news, sad news indeed..

But, I wonder, how do you know all that you wrote? Especially regarding his plans for the future, university and all that. As TOK teaches us, we should be wary of assuming things and present our assumptions as facts.

I searched for the news, using reverse image search, and I found out that, indeed, there were two Palestinians killed yesterday, one 17-years old boy and one 22-years old young man. What you don't say, though, is that both participated in a protest, including stone throwing. Of course, that does not excuse the heinous act by the Israeli soldier(s), but to claim that the soldier 'shot him out of nowhere' seems to be slightly misguided.

I find myself agreeing a lot with JYC, actually. I don't know much about the technical information regarding the ammunition, but I do know that, in general, what he writes is correct. Regarding the claims that the Israeli soldiers receive gifts for killing Palestinians, that is a claim I refuse to believe before some concrete evidence is presented. If that was the case, why aren't more Palestinians killed each day? Also, the budgetary issues JYC mentions are completely valid - this would most likely force a substantial and largely unnecessary increase of the budget, which is not desirable.

As I'm half Korean, I myself find the lack of attention to Japan's complete denial of their past actions appalling. Even as Shinzo Abe visited the Yasukuni shrine, Western media largely portrayed Korea's and China's complaints as being stupid and as if the two countries were not able to get past that particular period of time. The truth is, Japanese aggression and its complications are not merely things of the past, but is also very much a contemporary issue.

Another striking issue that the international media has not paid attention to until recently is the problems in the Central African Republic. As most of you probably know by now, there is currently an ethnic cleansing going on in CAR. However, the issue didn't suddenly develop recently, it has roots far back, and has caused many confrontations in the past as well. Even so, I remember reading a year or two ago that CAR was the country in the world that was mentioned the least in international media.

Have you heard about the rotavirus? Most likely not, but that very virus kills more than half a million children each year. Even more outraging is the fact that vaccinations exist. How much news coverage has this received? Almost none.

What do you think when you hear Honduras? Football? Drugs? In 2013, Doctors Without Borders reported that over 20 people die in street fights each day in Honduras. There has been very little media interest in this as well.

The sad fact is that international media won't care about these things, as most people couldn't care less. First, the media of a country would only report things that are of interest to a majority of its population. That's why there's so much celebrity news, for instance, because a lot of people do read that kind of news. The Arab Spring got a lot of attention because a lot of people were interested in what was going on in the region. At least in Western media, the WikiLeaks scandal has received a lot of media coverage because most people have a relation with the US, as well as the fact that the US is allied with most Western countries. Secondly, there's sensationalism. People will read what's sensational. That two people are killed in Palestine is not sensational - not any more. That there was a terror attack in Norway in 2011 caused by a white Christian fundamentalist, though, gained a lot of media coverage because it was sensational. The kidnapping of 200 school girls in Nigeria caught the news because it was sensational. Then, there's the national interests. Does the country have a particular affiliation with a certain country or concept? Terror attacks by Al-Qaeda will feature in the Western news because most of the Western countries have a strong affiliation with the War on Terror - for the better or worse.

Of course, I'm simplifying a lot here, and for most of the examples I used, they have more than just one reason for catching the world's attention. To go into the complexities of media coverage would need its own thread. However, I do believe that the fundamental principles here are valid. Most news articles are about things the population is interested in, things that are sensational, or things that the country has an affiliation with.

... countries like America and the UK can easily take action to stop what's happening but they choose not to. Why not?

Regarding the situation in Syria and Palestine, there are very clear reasons as to why UK and USA has not intervened. First of all, international law. The UN Charter, which all countries have agreed to follow, states that no country can go to war without going through the Security Council of the United Nations. In the case of Syria, all the 15 countries in the Security Council, except of China and Russia, have multiple times voted for military intervention in Syria. Unfortunately, there's something called the Veto powers, which China and Russia in particular have used. As a result, the UK and USA have had no real casus belli on Syria. This is why the Western world reacted to Russian involvement in the Crimea, for instance, as it breaks international law.

So, why could USA break international law when they invaded Iraq and Afghanistan? That's a tricky question, one which I haven't studied in detail, but I do believe there's two main factors for this. First of all, the United Nations Charter states that there are only in two particular circumstances a country may go to war with another. The first is through a decision in the Security Council, and the second is in case your country is attacked and needs to defend itself. Although USA would have to bend the definitions, I think you could argue that USA was indeed attacked, and thus intervened in the Middle East to protect itself, thus employing the second casus belli outlined in the United Nations Charter. I don't agree with that reasoning myself, but I know many people (Republicans?) do, and I understand why people may accept it as a valid casus belli.

Secondly, the US is an unchallenged (thus far) world hegemon, and can do whatever it wants without being severely punished. Many countries are dependent on the US in one way or another, and to directly oppose and counter a world hegemon would be catastrophic, especially for smaller countries. The two countries that could possibly challenge the US currently would be Russia and China. China has for a long time now pursued their foreign policy of 'peaceful rise.' This policy states that China's economic development won't threaten world peace and security. Russia's military forces, albeit large in number, have been considerably weakened since the fall of the Soviet Union, and has been characterised by mismanagement, lack of funds and corruption. Therefore, there were no real powers to oppose USA, as its allies largely supported the war. In light of recent Russian actions, this might seem very hypocritical (and it is), but that was the reality back then. The realities have changed since then, though. A war is very costly, and the US is facing huge financial difficulties and is declining rapidly as a world hegemon - possibly replaced by China in the future.

In short: In 2001 and 2003, USA arguably had a valid casus belli, and although the States faced much opposition from other countries, its role as a world hegemon allowed it to act as it wished (as long as they could argue for the validity of the casus belli). That's not the case with Syria.

As for Israel, USA's main ally in the Middle East is Israel. The Jewish lobby groups in the United States are very powerful, and to substantially counteract Israel would cause an uproar in the American political sphere. In the case of the United Kingdom, USA is a key ally to them and to attack Israel in any particular way would damage their relations. Furthermore, the UK too has a particular relationship with Israel, as Israel was established with the help of the UK, and the two countries fought side-by-side (with France) in the Suez Canal Crisis. They did lose in the end, but their relations weren't ruined for that reason.

---

I'm sorry this turned out to become such a long post, but that should hopefully give you some information, as well as some food for thought. And, of course, I'm no expert, so don't treat this as the only "truth"!

• Like 1

at the beginning a matter of fact, the 17 years old guy "Nadeem" was not throwing stones :) yesterday was "alnakba day" which is the day israel came to palestine 66 years ago, so the palestinian people protested there were guys throwing stones but nadeem was not one of them! but the news was successful in showing the wordl that the palestinians were the ones started the "war", if you look at the photo nadeem school bag is still on his back, and the sniper is treated like a champion after killing palestinian people and if you take a look at this photo

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/996871/thumbs/o-ISRAELI-SNIPER-PHOTO-CHILD-570.jpg?6

this photo was posted by an israeli sniper on his instagram account before shooting a palestinian child, because he knew that israeli leaders will respect him more for doing this! And why they don't kill more palestinians because the last time they tried to kill more the "intifada" started and you can read more about it, and what is called "israel" turned into hell by palestinians because palestinians knew no one will stop israeli people from killing them so they had to stop them by themselves without any weapons only by stones, since then israel knew that it can't kill a lot of palestinians without facing the other side of us, and today thousands of palestinians went to protest to show that we are still here and you can't easily kill any of us without facing us. And the other guy had to throw stones after he saw the sniper shooting his friend 5 times in his heart while he is smiling, imagine that it was you friend man, you won't only go to the soldier and tell him thank you.And you are telling me that USA is not intervening because of the UN? lol man and since when israel or america respect the UN? killing a 17 years old guy is respected UN right? Posting a photo while shooting a child is respecting UN? And talking about the UK, you know that the british prime minister was the one that gave israel palestine right? I guess because he respects the UN. Let me tell you something you will not be able to understand whats going on here except if you see it yourself, the internet is controlled by israel and america thats why all the news you will read will be bias. And i would like to answer anything you would like to know :)

and sorry for the grammar and spelling mistakes and was typing fast!

Edited by TykeDragon
  • Like 1

Although what you say is valid, I think it is extremely difficult just to act based on humanity alone. I think you may already know this but politics and international relations is a complete #$%&storm with so many different motivations and factors coming into play. Simply acting just for humanitarian ideals may seem nice but it may cause other more complex and negative impacts. Every move in politics and international relations has to be calculated and thought out ages before because there is so much to lose and there is so much at stake. Even though I have no authority or experience over politics or international relations, I think that this is the reason why countries are so unwilling to help.

at the beginning a matter of fact, the 17 years old guy "Nadeem" was not throwing stones :) yesterday was "alnakba day" which is the day israel came to palestine 66 years ago, so the palestinian people protested there were guys throwing stones but nadeem was not one of them! but the news was successful in showing the wordl that the palestinians were the ones started the "war", if you look at the photo nadeem school bag is still on his back, and the sniper is treated like a champion after killing palestinian people and if you take a look at this photo

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/996871/thumbs/o-ISRAELI-SNIPER-PHOTO-CHILD-570.jpg?6

this photo was posted by an israeli sniper on his instagram account before shooting a palestinian child, because he knew that israeli leaders will respect him more for doing this! And why they don't kill more palestinians because the last time they tried to kill more the "intifada" started and you can read more about it, and what is called "israel" turned into hell by palestinians because palestinians knew no one will stop israeli people from killing them so they had to stop them by themselves without any weapons only by stones, since then israel knew that it can't kill a lot of palestinians without facing the other side of us, and today thousands of palestinians went to protest to show that we are still here and you can't easily kill any of us without facing us. And the other guy had to throw stones after he saw the sniper shooting his friend 5 times in his heart while he is smiling, imagine that it was you friend man, you won't only go to the soldier and tell him thank you.And you are telling me that USA is not intervening because of the UN? lol man and since when israel or america respect the UN? killing a 17 years old guy is respected UN right? Posting a photo while shooting a child is respecting UN? And talking about the UK, you know that the british prime minister was the one that gave israel palestine right? I guess because he respects the UN. Let me tell you something you will not be able to understand whats going on here except if you see it yourself, the internet is controlled by israel and america thats why all the news you will read will be bias. And i would like to answer anything you would like to know :)

and sorry for the grammar and spelling mistakes and was typing fast!

"and the sniper is treated like a champion after killing palestinian people and if you take a look at this photo"

A sniper is usually treated like a champion if they kill a target at up to distances farther than 2km(Craig Harrison who shot a Taliban machine gun team from 2,475km away) and if they have hundreds of confirmed kills(Simo Häyhä who has 505 confirmed kills). I doubt that this "sniper" accomplished any of these.

"this photo was posted by an israeli sniper on his instagram account before shooting a palestinian child"

How do you know that the child died? Were you there? Did this supposed "sniper" post a photo of the dead child? Is this guy even really a "sniper"?

"because he knew that israeli leaders will respect him more for doing this!"

Do you have a source for this claim? Any evidence? I also don't see how the photo is relevant to this particular situation. A soldier is expected to kill because it's his job to do so. I don't see why someone would be praised for doing their job - unless of course they went above and beyond their call of duty or something like that and I don't think just shooting a random person is going above and beyond their call of duty.

In addition, I thought a "soldier" according to you and articles I found shot the boy. How is a "sniper" relevant to this situation? Please clarify for I do not understand. Also, I think that taking a photo of your target through a scope during firefights is very unprofessional thing a soldier will do and I don't think the Israeli military is the unprofessional sort. It probably is some unprofessional mercenaries trying to be edgy or something a teenager slapped together using photoshop. I refuse to believe this photo is legitimate until there is further evidence.

"And the other guy had to throw stones after he saw the sniper shooting his friend 5 times in his heart while he is smiling"

Okay, first off, there is a clear difference between a "sniper" and a common "infantry". A "sniper" is a highly specialised soldier trained in intelligence gathering, surveillance, reconnaissance, target acquisition and of course long range precision shooting. It isn't some guy with a bolt action rifle with a high powered scope attached to it. Snipers shoot from positions that are unseen and far far away so the "shooting while he is smiling" thing is wrong. So what you are probably seeing or hearing about is a common infantrymen or a designated marksmen. A designated marksmen is a soldier that stays just out of the range of the common infantrymen's rifles with high powered rifles who engages the enemy in precise accurate shooting to extend the effective range of a fireteam during a firefight. Even if the soldier is a designated marksmen, nobody will likely see his "smile" because he is too far away.

Also, a sniper wouldn't shoot a target "5 times". Snipers use very high powered rifles - most commonly chambered in .308 winchester, 7.62x51mm NATO, .338 Lapua Magnum, etc - which are more than necessary to kill a man with one shot even to the chest and the abdomen due to the immense speed at the bullet is travelling and the massive kinetic energy transferred to the target. Moreover, shooting a target "5 times" is wasteful (because ammunition isn't exactly cheap) and dangerous because it will expose the sniper's position to the enemy.

What you likely read about in the articles is probably just a common infantrymen. Please do not get the different terms confused and bring irrelevance to the discussion.

"Let me tell you something you will not be able to understand whats going on here except if you see it yourself, the internet is controlled by israel and america thats why all the news you will read will be bias."

I would very much like to see the evidence you have. I find it ridiculous that the entirety of cyberspace can be controlled by two countries.

I would also like you to try and write in coherent sentences because I find it very difficult to try and understand what you are trying to say. If you do really want us to be convinced of your opinion, I suggest you also find concrete evidence in addition to fixing up your errors.

Why exactly is this school kid walking home from school dressed as a guerilla with his head covered and identity obscured?? :blink:

Isreali people are killing Palestinians but Palestinians are also killing Israelis. Demanding international war of some kind is not exactly the path to peace - and that's a path which has by no means been neglected. The US, UK and multiple other countries have been trying to establish a peaceful 'two state' solution for countless years now. Only just recently they failed yet again with talks... but you know, you can lead a pair of horses to water but when they're hardline religious/'my people' politician horses, you can't make them drink. Neither side is particularly in the right or the wrong in terms of killing each other, bar some power differential, and neither is prepared to back down. I mean, which side do you suggest should be supported by the international community? Should we move ahead by starting a war with (and killing) Israelis or Palestinians, which is better, if we want to end this via intervention as you suggest?

With all due respect it's very naiive to post random un-traceable photos of people who may or may not be who they say they are and demand international war under the impression it will somehow reduce killing. Look at Iraq and Afghanistan for some excellent examples of international 'interventions' which have helped not one jot. They've stopped reporting all the bombs in Baghdad except for the big ones now as well. There are THAT many bombings and that many people dying every single day. I mean, would anybody re-propose the invasion of Iraq??? Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis dead - and also hundreds of international forces dead. Situation still not resolved.

The only people who can really resolve this situation without one side killing the other are the politicians at the top of each country. And when IB students are meant to be knowledgeable that includes questioning sources of information (I certainly question all of yours!) and looking at history. Violence has never really solved violence, and especially idealogical violence and ESPECIALLY religious violence, which is the most intractable sort. Again - look at Iraq. Split down religious lines and in some kind of civil war. I would venture to say that war strengthens divides rather than solving them.

• Like 4

alright,

the evidence I have are my eyes hahah all of this happens in front of us, Israel and palestine are in war from 66 years ago so the israeli soldiers don't care about the price of bullets. The soldier that shot them is a SNIPER and he killed nadeem from the first bullet but he decided to shoot him more and more so that the other guys don't try to go and take him away, he wane his friends to see him bleeding badly without being able to do anything, and I'm saying what was happening right there. Talking about the picture of the sniper his name is Ostrovski he is an Israeli soldier in a sniper unit, there was a lot of articles about him you can search the internet, and he is a SNIPER. And this photo shows the reality of the israeli army in general, and how they treat us.

I think that you only want to defend israel i don't know why.

I don't have any errors nadeem was my friend, i saw the five bullets that were in his body, the sniper didn't have the right to kill him, he cannot kill a child! And he was a sniper, he was not afraid if the guys knew from were he is shooting because they didn't have any weapons to hurt him. he is still holding his school bag man take a look at the photo man.

And I live in palestine since forever every day i see what israeli soldiers do, and i see such things every day and this is my evidence, luckily i was able to find a video for "aldura" which was also a child killed with his dad while going to school, youtube deletes other videos, and this video luckily was not deleted and it shows you that israeli soldiers are willing to kill any body, even very young children which don't even know the meaning of the word war, here is the video please watch it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrW--mvCZWA

i hope now that you believe that israel wants to get rid of us, no matter if they are killing a child, father, mother or an old man.

but we are never gonna give up and we will win at the end because this is not there land, and they don't care about it as much as we do :)

• Like 1