Studying Portuguese and Spanish simoultaneously?

vals

Italian is my native language, close-to-fluency in Spanish (I understand everything with few exceptions, correct spoken spanish is my weakness... But that's only because I've been formally learning it for less than a year now), B1-B2 in French...
Would it be just an additional pain in the neck to try and learn Portuguese now? Should I wait until the IB's over? Lol I wouldn't want to mess up my finals, since I'm taking Spanish Ab Initio and Italian... What if my Italian essays resented from the Portuguese influence? haha

Seriously though, do you have a similar background or related stories that you'd like to share?
Have you succeeded in learning a language which was closely related to your mothertongue? How long did it take you to master it, difficulties encountered...?

I'm a bit of a language freak, I'm self-studying Esperanto, taking sporadic Turkish classes, trying to get back on track with my Polish (which is ought to be my other mothertongue... I've lost it along the way.) ...But that's nothing compared to some of you guys on here, I saw some of you speak 3 languages at C2, that's sick!

One day I'd like to learn Japanese as well ^_^

If Italian is your native language then there is no worry. Learning portuguese won't affect your italian but it might simply be time consuming. Maybe you could earn it until you have time. ALso spanish won't be affected if you stay in AB Initio because it's ridiculously easy for an italian speaker, I can relate. Hope it was useful.. good luck

• Like 1

Guest Marioti

I'm from Brazil and honestly if you know spanish then portuguese will be easy for you to learn

Your exams are only next year so if you really want to learn portuguese you can, I believe it won't affect your grades or anything

If you exams were now I would obviously suggest you to finish them first