Terrified About Failing Spanish

Hi,

I'm studying Spanish Ab Initio, and I'm just coming to the end of the first year of the IB.

My problem is that I don't really feel like I've learnt nearly enough Spanish to do well in my exams next year. I've started using Duolingo, but it seems to be a ridiculously slow process and it doesn't cover everything I need to do. The other people in my class seem to pick up the spanish much faster than I do, and I feel like I'm getting left behind.

Is there anything I can do to catch up on my Spanish and make sure I'm working towards doing well in my exams next year? I'd like a 6 if possible, but at the moment that feels like a very long way off!

Thanks,

Joe

Well that was me a year ago and it's still me now that the Spanish ab inito exam is in 2 more days....lol

Some people (including me) are just slow learners...but don't worry you have a whole year to catch up!

I'd recommend getting used to different resources in Spanish. For e.g. watch movies in spanish, read spanish articles etc. Create a vocab list maybe? Just try to get familiar with the terminology. Eventually you'll get the hang of it, I can assure you that.

In terms of practicing the grammar, this is the best website I can recommend. http://www.languagesonline.org.uk/

In a nutshell, you need to get familiar with Spanish as much as possible. Perhaps try to incorporate it in your day-to-day conversations with friends that know Spanish?

Lastly, you should talk to your Spanish teacher about this issue. He might try a different approach to teaching you in particular.

• Like 1

Hi, I take Spanish HL but really struggled at the beginning as I'm not a native speaker and I didn't have much confidence for the first year of IB, especially in my speaking assessments.

However, I went abroad last Summer to a country that didn't speak English and it really helped- the natives of the country didn't speak Spanish, but it allowed me to gain a bit of confidence in speaking a language I wasn't confident in and now I feel much better about speaking and writing.

Don't worry about being left behind, everyone develops at different rates- at the beginning of my first year I was the only non-native Spanish speaker in my HL class and it was quite intimidating, but it wasn't really until the second year that I got a proper footing and started to 'understand' Spanish as such.

I wouldn't begin worrying yet, there's still lots of time to gain confidence and improve- it will click eventually :)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Guest Marioti

Learning a new language can be difficult but all you have to do is get used to it

Read some texts everyday in spanish and write down the words you seem to mess up the most and practice them until you no longer mess them up :)

Don't worry everyone struggles!

Watching movies in spanish also helps and even listening to songs

Anything really

You have 1 year to do it and I doubt you'll fail. Also remember it's ab initio and SL so you'll be fine :)