I need help for my IA History topic, something related to the Cold War

rafaparodi9

Hey guys, so I'm doing my IA and I'm considering doing a paper on the Cold War. I'm aware that this topic has been overdone so I'm trying to do something different with it. I was thinking about talking about the Moscow Olympic Games of 1980 and how they were affected, or how international relations were affected. I would really appreciate if you have suggestions on how to improve this topic or if I should change it.

Thank You :)

Guest mso-1996

Hi!

Can I suggest you a new topic? Try to investigate about the importance of George Kennan's Long Telegram. My teacher made us write an IA about that topic on second semester. However, we didn't send that IA to IB.

I attached my IA if you want to get inspired by it (: Don't worry, the IB has no register of it.

I scored 20/25 since it was my first time writing an IA. My teacher is very strict so I guess that it is not that bad.

Good Luck! Just finished all my IB exams! You can do it (:

P.D I'm from Mexico so you will need to translate it. Or maybe you understand Spanish...

In my opinion, I'd stick with the Moscow Olympics just because it's a less common topic than the long telegram, especially since the Cold War is a risky subject because it's such a popular topic in the course.

I think how the boycott affected the Olympics is a bit too obvious so maybe look at international relations. To make your topic stand out to the examiners instead of just looking at the relationship between the USA and USSR you could look at other countries. For example, it says on Wikipedia that the West German chancellor complained that the USA acted as though the allies should do as they're told and follow the USA's lead. So a possible topic is could be something like 'to what extent did the boycott strain relationships between the USA and it's allies.' Or another thing you could look at is how some countries, for example the UK, France and Australia, supported the boycott but allowed their athletes to go if they wanted to thereby not completely boycotting it. You could do some research to see whether that affected international relations between Western countries.

Anyways good luck with your IA.