Works in Translation Essay

Hi everyone!

So I am writing my Written Assessment Essay about the book Perfume, by Patrick Suskind and I'm having a really hard time getting started. I dont really wanna write about the stuff that i wrote in my supervised writing, which was about postmodernism mostly. I kind of want my topic to be along the lines of scent, and/or the constant comparasins made between grenioulle and other animals (the tick)

My teacher is kind of lazy, and doesn't explain things very well. So I'm having a hard time choosing a topic, and I also don't really know what exactly the essay needs to contain.

Thank you! :)

Edited by Danni Duro

I haven't read the book, but I think that it might be a good idea to connect your paper to your supervised writing, unless of course, you are just bored with the topic of postmodernism.... but the IB, if they ask, wants to see that your paper topic stemmed from your supervised writing. It would be like an idea that grew... into a World Lit. Paper.

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

So I am writing my Written Assessment Essay about the book Perfume, by Patrick Suskind and I'm having a really hard time getting started. I dont really wanna write about the stuff that i wrote in my supervised writing, which was about postmodernism mostly. I kind of want my topic to be along the lines of scent, and/or the constant comparasins made between grenioulle and other animals (the tick)

My teacher is kind of lazy, and doesn't explain things very well. So I'm having a hard time choosing a topic, and I also don't really know what exactly the essay needs to contain.

Thank you! :)

I did actually read that book :) But I did mine on the "One Day of Ivan Denisovich."

The essay, unfortunately for you, needs to have some similarity with the supervised writing. According to my teacher, you cannot have a World Lit essay that mentions new topics that the supervised writing has not mentioned. Of course, you can mention the new kind of evidences, proofs, and explanations that were not mentioned in the supervised writing, but you have to have the similar line of thesis as the supervised writing.

Therefore, I would recommend using the lines of scent, comparisons between Grenouille to other animals to link it to the topic of postmodernism, if that is possible.

Narrow down your essay to one or two aspects of your book, with main argument introduced in first paragraph, then your supporting points separated into body paragraphs, with evidences from book (referenced with page numbers, with bibliography) that support those supporting points. After, have a concluding paragraph that sums up your essay. It's only 1500 words, which is not a lot. Be careful to narrow it down and make it SPECIFIC.

This website helped me a lot while I was doing mine :)

http://ibenglishyear1spisso.edublogs.org/ib-english-curriculum/rubrics/works-in-translation-paper-pt-1/

• Like 1