Economics SL or Art SL?

Yorkiepoogirl

We only have three choices for standard level at my school, economics, art, and music. I can't do music because I'm really bad at it haha. I've heard(from AP students) that economics is mostly math, which is my weakest subject. I was thinking I could do art but I haven't taken any art courses since middle school(I'm in tenth grade now and I'll be in the IB Diploma program next fall). I'm not sure what to do. Can someone who has taken one of the courses or knows about both tell me how they are and what I should do.

Thanks!

SL economics has very little to no maths... it is just based around understanding economic concepts and applying them to real-life situations/ other theoretical ideas.

SL art is easy according to my friends who do it...but I don't know much about the course.

I would recommend economics because it can be interesting and slightly more challenging than art I guess.

I'm doing both the subjects you're thinking about choosing, here's my experience with them so far;

Economics SL - The Economics having mainly math isn't true. If you're doing HL, like I am, then you would have to take a Paper 3 test which is entirely math based but isn't really hard at all. I'm a few days away from finish my first year in IB DP and Economics has been one of the easy subjects for me. As far as I recall, SL had barely (or didn't do) any math at all. The important thing to keep in mind for SL which helped me was to read the book (I'm currently using Economics Course Companion by Jocelyn Blink and Ian Dorton) and try out practice questions. If you do all that, then it shouldn't be too hard.

Art SL - I had previously done art in MYP and I had a little idea based on what to expect. The DP Art course isn't mainly going to be about creating artwork; that is one aspect of it. There are Studio Works and Investigation, which is you work book. If i'm not wrong, the Studio Work amounts to 60% of your grade and the Investigation counts for 40%.

You would have to pick a theme, experiment with different techniques, write about them in your workbook, compare and analyze art from different times, etc. It really depends on what you like. Some people enjoy doing that kind of stuff while some don't. And don't go into Art SL thinking that there would not be much work because there is. If you want to get a decent grade, then you're going to have to invest quite a bit of time into Art.

I would personally recommend Economics since so far I really seem to enjoy that subject the most.

Edited by RevolutionToast
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not having taken Economics, I can only give advice about Art. It is not an easy option, so don't expect to get by with no work. However, if you love art, like I do, then the work is enjoyable and interesting and doesn't feel like work.

Economics SL is one of the easiest SL courses, so if your worry is that the math is going to be to intense, don't stress about it. 

As far as I know, Art SL is really time consuming but if you have a passion for Art I'm guessing you'll enjoy that anyways. 

Personally, Eco is my favourite subject and I think that it would be a good subject for anyone to take.