Gaining Action hours for CAS

Rentle

Hi there, ;]

There's a problem that bugs me all the time: action hours. Throughout the previous year this section was the one containing the smallest amount of hours (while creativity and service had more than enough). So, I'm asking for your help here. What kind of good and recognised activities are known to earn plenty of cas hours every month? Just brainstorm them randomly. ;]

Edited by Rentle

-Join a gym

-Join a school sports team(s)

-Take martial arts classes

-Help score keep/martial/help out at athletic competitions/games (depends on your IB co-ordinator)

It really isn't that hard, especially if you join a sports team like cross-country. Practices 5 days a week after school for about an hour, and it lasts for about 8 weeks. 40 hours right there, and you could easily get to 50 by joining something simple.

I did it all in one go, within the space of 2 months.

I had to go to Bali, Indonesia. It's a hilly island, in the tropics. Went cycling there for roughly around 250km, so that was 32 hours there. And then the rest was practicing for the actual thing.

So why not go on a 4 or 5 day cycling trip in the country side? Get a couple of friends to go with you and that should be a fine time.

I did it all in one go, within the space of 2 months.

I had to go to Bali, Indonesia. It's a hilly island, in the tropics. Went cycling there for roughly around 250km, so that was 32 hours there. And then the rest was practicing for the actual thing.

So why not go on a 4 or 5 day cycling trip in the country side? Get a couple of friends to go with you and that should be a fine time.

What do you mean by "the actual thing?" Did you train to bike to Indonesia, and then actually go there? I don't think my IB coordinator would allow that since she's really picky about CAS, and said that every activity needs a specific goal (like training for a track meet or piano exam or whatever). :\

• 2 weeks later...

Because our school is so small , and as a result has virtually no school teams.

There is a Basketball team and a Tennis team (Both of which are very difficult to get into), we were allow to count our P.E for 25 of our total hours.

But even without that it shouldn't be too difficult.

Go to a sports center and just ask for what courses are available. I took a Tennis course for 1h a week which throughout a year got me about 30 hours. Then i did some swimming/diving and got some for that.

Dance, yoga, pilates, fitness activities, sports teams, swimming. :ninja:

What do you mean by "the actual thing?" Did you train to bike to Indonesia, and then actually go there? I don't think my IB coordinator would allow that since she's really picky about CAS, and said that every activity needs a specific goal (like training for a track meet or piano exam or whatever). :\

Your goal when training is to be fit when you go biking; your goal when biking is to finish the trail. :P

• 2 weeks later...

If you're somebody like me who doesn't find a particular affinity in the sports area.. you can still set yourself minor goals and carry them out,even if they're not especially "hard-core" team sports.. what I mean is, for e.g. i've decided to walk (power-walk) 30 mins a day, 3 days a week, with a friend.. just get plugged to your ipod and walk! haha my personal goal is to improve my fitness (a couple of kilos off won't come bad either.. ^^ )

i've also been considering doing 15min stretching exercises before going to bed.. cos i relli dont have much time otherwise and i need to improve my posture.. maybe that's another idea?

cheers!

B

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know if it works for you, but in my class there is a girl who did a Red Cross course and now she works for them on an ambulance. She also wants to study medicine.

Im in the international school here in Uganda, and there are hardly any opportunities of that sort, i dont even think red cross is here! lol

• 4 weeks later...

You can always just sign into the local gym. Fortunately, we have the largest one stationed approximately 100 metres away from our school, so it is quite accessible. However, money can/will be the issue, seeing it costs a bloody amount of money to attend, but on the lovely side, the local gym is to be considered the largest dating arena there is (if you don't have any problem with sweat on the first date).

If this is not an option, I would recommend swimming. It can be peaceful, enjoyable and beneficial for your physique.