HL: Biology

HL: Economics

HL: Math (or maybe SL)

HL: English (B)

SL: Physics

SL: French

Since I had no choice but to choose those subject, are those subject 

good enough to study medicine later on?

Where do you plan on going to university?

In Australia you're not required to take HL chemistry to do medicine at the top universities in the country, but as other people have pointed out in some universities you do need HL chem. Make sure you check the prerequisites for which universities you are planning on applying to. Also, I think it would be a good idea to only to 3 HLs. Universities would prefer you got a higher overall grade with 3HLs than and lower grade with 4HLs. I would recommend dropping economics unless you absolutely love it and it's your favourite subject. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I should also maybe mention that it is possible to apply for a preparatory year at some schools in the UK if you don't have Chemistry HL, so that is always an option if you are completely stuck with those subjects. 

"It is possible to apply for a preparatory year at some schools in the UK", what do you mean by that? Can you do a university year to make up for an IB course you need for example to study medicine or engineering?

I want to study medicine later on too and I'm starting IB in august this year. I would strongly suggest you do chem HL and bio HL . If you can't do them both take the chemistry though. It will help you soo much later on in medicine and most of the universities require it (in the UK and Sweden) so yeah.

I'm thinking on taking HL chemistry , biology and English. SL math , Swedish and history AND physics and Latin in normal Swedish courses. Yeah good luck though! :D 

I should also maybe mention that it is possible to apply for a preparatory year at some schools in the UK if you don't have Chemistry HL, so that is always an option if you are completely stuck with those subjects. 

"It is possible to apply for a preparatory year at some schools in the UK", what do you mean by that? Can you do a university year to make up for an IB course you need for example to study medicine or engineering?

It's called a foundation year in some universities. I know that Cardiff, Dundee, Brighton, Sussex and Manchester medical school offer it, but there are probably more that I'm not aware of. E.g here is the info for Manchester http://www.mms.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/mbchb6year/ as you can see the entry requirements for IB are as follows:

Acceptable Higher Level (HL) subjects are:

• Three arts/humanities subjects
  • Two arts/humanities subjects and one science subject
  • One arts/humanities subject and two science subjects (but not Chemistry)

35 points are required overall to include core points with at least 666 at Higher Level (HL) and minimum 555 at Standard Level (SL). If your HL subject combination includes Chemistry and Physics, Biology or Maths are not considered for the Foundation Year.

Science subjects (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology) not offered at Higher level must be taken at Standard level or GCSE. Alternatively, a referee's statement confirming proficiency in one intermediate unexamined science subject is accepted.

If Maths and English Language are not offered as part of the Diploma, they should be offered at GCSE or IGCSE at grade B or above.

It's a cool option for people that didn't take Chemistry during IB in my opinion, especially if you don't care about taking an extra year :)

EDIT: I have no clue about engineering though! Sorry!

Edited by Babydolleyes
  • Like 1

Hy everyone, 

My subjects would be: 

HL: Biology

HL: Economics

HL: Math (or maybe SL)

HL: English (B)

SL: Physics

SL: French

Since I had no choice but to choose those subject, are those subject 

good enough to study medicine later on?

Others have already stressed the importance of taking chem HL, so I'll not repeat that. 

If you are unable to take Chem HL for reasons beyond your control, like your school not offering it, or a lack of chem teachers in your school, whatever, then you should make sure that this is stated very clearly in your reference. This tells the admission guys that you didn't take Chem HL because you couldn't, as opposed to because you didn't really want to. 

I'm not sure if you can do chem HL online, but if you can, it makes for really good personal statement material and as an indicator of your interest in doing medicine. 

• Like 1

Hi there,

I think you're confusing yourself a bit (or I am!)

Medicine comes after your undergrad degree. It goes Highschool -> Undergrad -> Medicine

So if I were you, I'd take a close look at your Undergrad requirements rather than Medicine.

And for Medinicine, your high school subjects dont' matter, but your Ungergrad grades too.

Hope that helps :)

Hi there,

I think you're confusing yourself a bit (or I am!)

Medicine comes after your undergrad degree. It goes Highschool -> Undergrad -> Medicine

So if I were you, I'd take a close look at your Undergrad requirements rather than Medicine.

And for Medinicine, your high school subjects dont' matter, but your Ungergrad grades too.

Hope that helps :)

This is only actually in the US and Canada. For most places in the world you apply directly to the medical school out of high school/secondary school/college/whatever, and it's usually a 6 year program rather than 4 years of undergrad + 4 years of medical school + any additional time for specializing and residency. I wish the US had this system because it forces people to major in things like biology and chemistry, and since so few people get into medical school, these degrees, which used to be good fields to go into, are now oversaturated to the point where a bachelor's of science in chemistry or biology means you're washing glassware and doing grunt work since the people who used to want to do just chemistry are competing with rejected medical school applicants.

• Like 1

Hi, thank everyone for the responds. I am making m'y Ib in French. I intend to study medicine in Strasbourg, France. :D

Basically, I took maths Hl because it opens many other dors in university. It would train me in advance to study harder and more. Also by . taking maths Hl, i intend to replace the lack of calculus that I sould normaly have with chem Hl.

As i said i didnt hâve the choice but to take these subjects (somme people obviously didnt understand if, but its ok :D )

Edited by Sandwich
Please edit your first reply instead of making 3 replies if you wish to add additional information. Thanks.