ToK presentation help! -How can mass media affect an aspect of our society?

sherlockq

I have my ToK presentation coming up soon and I have done about 80% of the powerpoint already, however I need help and advice to polish over it. So I'm just going to talk about the structure of my presentation and where I think it needs improvement.

Firstly I'm going to start with my real life situation, Edward Snowden and the NSA scandal; give a brief overview then say from that i extrapolated my knowledge issue, 'how can mass media affect an aspect of our society'. So my first question is, is what my structure so far alright? If not how should I improve? Secondly is that a appropriate title or too broad?

Then I talked about what methods of WoK and AoK I will be using and gave a very short example for each one, eg Mass media can use language to affect readers views by using certain words with specific connotations attached to them to invoke a certain feeling. Is that okay?

Then I used emotion as my first WoK linking it back to my real life situation with Edward Snowden saying how people feel betrayed, how perception of the US government now has changed in comparison to before the scandal broke out etc. I'm talking about this part from an American citizen perspective, however I feel this part and the next part is my weakest section. I don't feel I'm analysing the situation in depth enough or even approaching it from the right angle. So any feedback on that? The next slide is from another WoK area, reason. And basically using the same kind of approach as before but from a foreign perspective. 

Then I talked very briefly about limitations which I felt was weak aswell, like tabloids and privately owned television channels are susceptible to bias and you need to use intuition although I haven't explained why, as I can't actually think why. Any help there?

Then all I need is the conclusion but I'm not sure on to approach that aswell. Any tips? 

I appreciate this was long and I tend to waffle so apologies. But feel free to point out any flaws and criticisms for me please. Any advice would be welcomed.

Edited by sherlockq

I think the area where I need help the most is actually applying WoK and AoK into my presentation, am I applying it to my RLS or KQ? And believe I have scoured a lot of websites before asking this question so could someone just answer this really simply? And say for example if I used language, what sort of stuff do I talk about to incorporate it in? Like what am I actually analysing with that? 

Honestly, I gave mine 2 weeks ago and can tell you that the criteria has it all!

Also I might be most helpful by explaining how I did mine (i based it off one that got either almost full marks or full marks).

So basically in mine, my focus was on the knowledge issues and perspectives.

After my cover page type slide i had my RLS and extracted KI (perhaps for yours actually specify the aspect of society you are looking at).

Then I had a slide of the 3 perspectives I looked at (my intro now ended after this slide).

Next slide was 1st perspective - what they beleived and what ways of knowing allowed them to come to their decisions - what justification they had and how credible it was etc.

I also spoke about the implications of having such a perspective and how this may influence others (WOKs links come in here)

I then did the same for the other perspective.

I also had some quotes on the slides to show exactly what the perspectives thought.

My 3rd perspective was quite different to first 2 and so to approach it i needed to briefly go into other related KIs and then similar to what i did for previous 2 perspectives.

However, I was able to bring in personal examples as well and that the claims made here I agree with.

What I was unable to do but should have done after this was talk about the implications of this in related areas - other similar events etc (then your good for criterion D).

So I lost a mark in the last criteria for not having spoken about related areas.

Hope that helped...sorry I dont know enough about your topics and claims etc to help but as structure - it doesnt really matter as long as you have what the criteria wants. And I dont think you need to worry about AOKs as I dont recall them being specifically mentioned in the criteria.

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the reply, it was very helpful but what did you mean by perspectives? And I'm confused about you mean by the implication of this in related areas. 

Alright so you must know that you need to talk about Claims and Counter-claims right?

Perspectives is kinda another word for that.

So whatever Knowledge Issue you extract from your RLS, you need to be able to research it or it may be obvious that different people will have different views about it.

Each of these different views/perspectives will make different Claims. So when I say i had 3 different perspectives, I essentially was talking about 3 different claims being made. Also, some Claims are naturally counter claims to other claims.

I dont have any background to your topic but your KI will need to be one that directly links into at least 2 perspectives, and they need to be counter claims (one says A and other says exact opposite Z). 

So Criteria D for the presentation says and I quote

"The presentation gave a clear account of how the question could be approached from different perspectives and considered their implications in related areas. "

Related areas is something I am not too sure about myself (hence i lost the mark probably). What I think you need to do is look at how the perspectives/claims etc will have an affect on society or on the world/real life (this is the implication part) and if that perspective can have consequences in other similar RLS. Something like 'if people beleive this, then to not have a contradictory/double standard view - they must view X like so as well. or something like that.

I could give a proper example but then it would be on my topic. Even then ask your teacher about what it means. I really am just guessing with that section.

Oh that what it means! Haha, I'm just unsure on ToK terminology, not sure if it's just me but I find a lot of the words 'long winded'. But yeah I have already included claims and counter claims. Thanks for clarifying that for me anyway, I just finished my presentation and going to present it on Friday.