Predicted Grades?

susanne

OK, can someone please please clarify if I need to tell the University my predicted grades (or my grades according to my Mid-year report) when I am applying for university in Adelaide/Australia? ANd also will the predicted grades affect the chance of me getting an offer next year?

OK, can someone please please clarify if I need to tell the University my predicted grades (or my grades according to my Mid-year report) when I am applying for university in Adelaide/Australia? ANd also will the predicted grades affect the chance of me getting an offer next year?

In Australia no!

Official IB results get posted online on 6th Jan 2015 but we will be asked to come in to school on the 4th Jan and Mr g will hand our results to us. We can then go on the SATAC/ VATAC etc etc websites and change preferences.

Preferences cant be changed after 6th Jan so basically we get under 2 days to decide. So if you get higher than you thought, you can apply for the harder courses to get into or do worse, pick ones with lower ATARs.

So basically you wont need predicted grades anyway. But your term report will help in deciding courses initially.

• Like 1

It's pretty much been said, but you don't need predicted grades to apply for most courses. It doesn't matter what your predicted grades are, as long as you fulfil the ATAR/OP requirement based on your final IB Diploma score/45 listed for the course you want (and any other requirements like portfolio or pre-requisites - though most courses, at least in NSW, don't have them any more). However, there are exceptions:

• Medicine - predicted grades do matter, they'll often determine if you get an interview and then later potentially affect admission chances.
  • Special/limited entry courses - aside from medicine, non-standard courses where ATAR is not the only thing used for admission. Struggling to think of an example of this type of course though. 
  • Scholarship programs - often, scholarships are given out based not only on final results but also predicted grades - and often school reports and references as well.

Having said that, as mentioned by IBfreakingout!, predicted grades are still a useful indicator of what range of courses you want to consider, although you do get a very narrow window to change your preferences. Also, your school can often look at your predicted grades to decide the kind of reference/support they want to give you for any university applications you want to do, and if you're predicted not to pass the diploma (which is not the case!) then that would be a bit not good either. Finally, if you do ever consider non-Australian universities, then predicted grades generally matter quite a lot. :)

• Like 2