What calculator is best suitable for Maths HL

Guest SNJERIN

Guest SNJERIN

My teacher said that everyone that takes Maths hl must have nspire cx GDC. I already have TI-84 plus, and i dont want to spend my money on that one cause its kind of expensive. So do you think is necessary to get the nspire cx ? 

I have the Ti-nspire CX, and personally I prefer it to the Ti-84.  

Ultimately, both are recommended for the IB exams so only spend the money on a new one if you really feel that is worth the hassle of learning how to use a new calculator or if there is something that you find difficult/unable to do on the 84. 

Your teacher said that you have to get the nspire? I am in Math HL too, and my teacher says it is a waste of money. Most people in my class have either the TI83 or TI84 x__x. Anyway, the TI84 will suffice for your IB exam, so I wouldn't waste money buying another GDC.

I don't know about Maths HL in particular, but the Casio FX-9860GII S is amazingly useful. It's really easy to use and it does pretty much everything for you. My extended class (not IB though) has the Texas ones and find it in a pain, but mine's simple to use (though it may be because I had an awesome teacher last year who taught us how to use it perfectly).

Edited by Guest

I used the TI-84.

It's all you will need for the exams.

I would buy nspire cx for something like a portfolio or a project. However you can find computer software that will be a lot more helpful than a gdc for that sort of stuff. 

So my advice would be to not waste the money if you don't have it.

During your exam you will use your calculator to sketch a graph, find zeros, find max min, solve problems with probability distribution and solve some integrals. The TI-84 is more than capable at doing that and it's a lot easier to use than some older models.

I used Ti-84 for my class tests and mocking exam.

It has been satisfactory so far! I think you will be fine with just Ti-84 plus :) 

You need to know how to use Ti-84 with all different types of questions 

and importantly show your methods in order to get full marks!  :flirt:

• 2 weeks later...

We are also required by school to make use of the TI-nspire CX (which I find to be much easier to use than the other GDCs) but some of my classmates use the 84 plus and they get along fine so I don't think it makes much of a difference. When it comes to graphs I tend to prefer the colour display of the nspire cx though.