Assistance Required: Unsure of Subject Selection for EE

Excalibre

If you are reading this then it means that my ability to come up with 'good' titles is as sound as ever.  :P

On to the issue at hand! I seem to be 'stuck' (God, I hate that word) in a predicament, i am unable to 'choose' a subject or topic for my EE. Now, having read posts outlining guidelines regarding posts on EE help (Postception!), the EE guide, examiners' reports, IB blogs, etc. I am still unable to light the 'spark' that seems to burn bright when you finally choose/select a subject or topic for the EE. 

However, I do have a subject that has been more-or-less forced down on me (I had to select a subject for my EE in 1 day! During my mock-week!), and that subject is Geography. And with that, i also have a potential supervisor who just so happens to be my Geography teacher. This doesn't sound so bad now, right?

WRONG! I have absolutely no interest in this subject, the only reason i picked it in the first place was out of sheer necessity. Now, naturally I would have picked another subject and gone down a different path altogether. The only problem: I can't seem to find any suitable subject or topic. I apologise for my whinging (I must sound like a 12-year old) but the frustration is getting to my head. 

I shall tell you all that I have considered thus far (Not a typo):

1. Physics EE: a sort of theoretical exploration with an argumentative approach. The main topic i had in mind was Time Travel, now i know this is far from experimental but having read the EE Guide i know that the IB allows for theoretical analysis. The only issue is, i don't have the Higher Level maths to be able to fully describe the topic with numerical reasoning (I'm not sure if this is a thing, what i meant was calculations...)

2. English A EE (which i take at HL): didn't actually come up with a topic. Although Category 3 seemed quite interesting.

3. ITGS EE: You know a person is desperate when they pick a subject they don't even take (and never have) for their EE. I was 'planning' on doing it on the Hacktivist group Anonymous, and how political change has resulted as a result of their activity. [i would have talked about their methods of attack e.g. DDoS attacks as my main ITGS factor]

So... If you are still reading this, then i would like to commend you for your patience and ability to put up with teenage rants. :clap: If for some reason you still have the desire to help me out, I will gladly accept any and all of the assistance you have to offer.

Enjoy the rest of your day. :gbye:

• Like 1

To be quite honest, I think you should do an English Literature EE. It is probably simpler than ITGS and Physics. I know they allow for more theoretical analysis, but all the high scoring Physics EEs have some sort of experiment.. while time travel would just not be feasible. The IB really wants to see some sort of experimentation.. it is an "experimental science" :D.

Anyway, think of the Literature EE as a really really long and focussed commentary! I hope I helped a little bit :3 

Edited by Maple
  • Like 1

To be quite honest, I think you should do an English Literature EE. It is probably simpler than ITGS and Physics. I know they allow for more theoretical analysis, but all the high scoring Physics EEs have some sort of experiment.. while time travel would just not be feasible. The IB really wants to see some sort of experimentation.. it is an "experimental science" :D.

Anyway, think of the Literature EE as a really really long and focussed commentary! I hope I helped a little bit :3 

Thanks for the help. I can see what you're getting at with the English Lit EE, and to be honest I couldn't agree more. So I might just go down that path.

Once again, Thank You! You have been quite helpful indeed. 

I second doing English lit over the other two choices. I'm doing an English EE right now, and it is definitely a lot easier than those doing theirs in the sciences. I hope you can get your subject choice changed. At my school, they wouldn't even let us do our EE in an SL class we're taking, only HLs. You're in SL geo, so it only makes sense that you should want to change to a subject that you're doing HL, like English. 

• Like 1

I may be incredibly biased, but do English Lit! It's lots of fun if you can find the right text(s) to analyse - and because of the freedom of EE there is surely something which you can talk about for 4000 words. Although this may seem a bit demeaning, researching for the English EE just requires you to sit down with your text to make detailed notes and annotations, looking at a few secondary sources, and then sitting to plan and write your essay. Much easier than an experiment or other calculations/more complex research. Good luck!

• Like 1