Difficulty of these subjects?

So I just finished my MYP, and I will be starting IBDP in the coming September. Right now the subjects I will be doing are:

• Group 1: English SL
  • Group 1: Chinese SL
  • Group 3: Math SL
  • Group 4: Biology HL
  • Group 5: Economy HL
  • Group 6: Visual Arts HL

I want to study psychology in university, but I also want to pursue an art degree in the future, and I would really appreciate your opinion regarding the following questions:

1. What are the general difficulty rates of these subjects?

2. Is it necessary to take two Group1 subjects considering I would like to study a social science related subject in the future? (If I change Chinese from group1 to group2, I would do Group2 Mandarin HL, which means I can change one of my HL subject into SL, preferably visual arts)

3. Will biology and economy combined require a lot of memorising? I actually don't mind memorising and understanding the concepts, but I still want to know so that I know how can I prepare myself this summer

I would really appreciate if I can get some insight or opinion, and I apologise ahead if some parts of this post are confusing :-)

It doesnt make sense to put 2 group 1 subjects together, its an unnecessary huge addition of workload. Move Chinese Group 1 to Mandarin HL group 2 and Drop Visual arts to SL. These still fulfill are your requirements and is a genuinely better combination. Economics HL is just understanding the concepts and practicing writing long answers using specific formats, not that tough. You just have to master applying economic concepts to different situations through practice. Maths SL is fairly easy and do able with sustained practice ( I have HL math, so I guess SL is much easier with repeated practice ). Biology HL is a lot of memorization, correct. Visual Arts is dicey, it is an extremely demanding subject, let me emphasize, extremely demanding. SL visual arts is better for you but only take up the subject if you have prior knowledge about art, and can draw fairly well because they wont teach you from scratch. English SL is pretty easy though rigorous yet manageable. I wouldn't know about Mandarin HL (group 2) but I guess you're taking it up because you know the language pretty well so it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

And no, you do not need 2 group 1 subjects to pursue the social sciences , or half of us would be doomed !! :P

For Econ HL, just study the concepts and their application and practice writing long answers (10-15 mark ones, follow formats: DEEDC ( definition, example, explanation, diagram and conclusion ). I dont have Bio HL but All I heard is its mainly memorization. 

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest that you provide the information of whether Mandarin SL is Mandarin ab initio SL or Mandarin B SL. I believe this information would be crucial in judging the difficulty of the subject. 

By Mandarin I meant Mandarin B SL. I'm still juggling between whether or not I should take Mandarin B SL, because I'm a native speaker, but I'm not sure if the workload from Chinese A SL is necessary. 

It doesnt make sense to put 2 group 1 subjects together, its an unnecessary huge addition of workload. Move Chinese Group 1 to Mandarin HL group 2 and Drop Visual arts to SL. These still fulfill are your requirements and is a genuinely better combination. Economics HL is just understanding the concepts and practicing writing long answers using specific formats, not that tough. You just have to master applying economic concepts to different situations through practice. Maths SL is fairly easy and do able with sustained practice ( I have HL math, so I guess SL is much easier with repeated practice ). Biology HL is a lot of memorization, correct. Visual Arts is dicey, it is an extremely demanding subject, let me emphasize, extremely demanding. SL visual arts is better for you but only take up the subject if you have prior knowledge about art, and can draw fairly well because they wont teach you from scratch. English SL is pretty easy though rigorous yet manageable. I wouldn't know about Mandarin HL (group 2) but I guess you're taking it up because you know the language pretty well so it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

And no, you do not need 2 group 1 subjects to pursue the social sciences , or half of us would be doomed !! :P

For Econ HL, just study the concepts and their application and practice writing long answers (10-15 mark ones, follow formats: DEEDC ( definition, example, explanation, diagram and conclusion ). I dont have Bio HL but All I heard is its mainly memorization. 

Thanks! :D Also, would it be a good option to write my EE with Econ? :hmmm: I heard that EE in Biology is just like a giant lab report, but I'm not sure about Econ O.o