Require Assistance with Math EE Topic Inspiration

IB .

Hello guys,

Since it's the summer, I need to finally re-start my EE since I discovered that my previous topic was way to simple. So, I have to start right from the beginning :/.

Anyways, I just wanted to request for anyone to recommend me a topic/concept/problem in mathematics that I can explore for my Math EE. Something that is not too simple but also not too complex. I have to get this done by September 24, 2014. 

My favourite math topics are calculus, algebra, and trigonometry. However, I'm not a fan of probability and statistics.

Update: I was thinking of Laplace transforms, Euler's method, or Taylor series as a topic for the EE. Any ideas as to doing this?

Please note that I am not asking for a research question but a topic that I can explore so that I can come up with a RQ.

Thanks so much to everyone and have a wonderful summer!

Edited by IB .

Hello guys,

Since it's the summer, I need to finally re-start my EE since I discovered that my previous topic was way to simple. So, I have to start right from the beginning :/.

Anyways, I just wanted to request for anyone to recommend me a topic/concept/problem in mathematics that I can explore for my Math EE. Something that is not too simple but also not too complex. I have to get this done by September 24, 2014. 

My favourite math topics are calculus, algebra, and trigonometry. However, I'm not a fan of probability and statistics.

Update: I was thinking of Laplace transforms, Euler's method, or Taylor series as a topic for the EE. Any ideas as to doing this?

Please note that I am not asking for a research question but a topic that I can explore so that I can come up with a RQ.

Those ideas are great but I think you should do something with applications, because I've heard marking for Math EE's is quite hard. What I've seen so far is people trying to solve mathematical problems from Olympiads. Maybe you could look into matrices, since they're off syllabus now :o

If you are into calculus however, you could look at what you said, Taylor series and stuff, but I'm not sure what you want your RQ to actually be.

Sorry that wasn't really helpful. Thing is, I thought I'd do a math EE but I switched to economics. And I absolutely love math but I couldn't hit a problem I really wanted to solve for a Math EE :P

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Those ideas are great but I think you should do something with applications, because I've heard marking for Math EE's is quite hard. What I've seen so far is people trying to solve mathematical problems from Olympiads. Maybe you could look into matrices, since they're off syllabus now :o

If you are into calculus however, you could look at what you said, Taylor series and stuff, but I'm not sure what you want your RQ to actually be.

Sorry that wasn't really helpful. Thing is, I thought I'd do a math EE but I switched to economics. And I absolutely love math but I couldn't hit a problem I really wanted to solve for a Math EE :P

Hey Ossih!

Thanks for the comment and yes, I actually think that it's better to look at past questions from math contests such as the Olympiad. However, I'm having trouble finding a question that would actually be suitable for an EE. This is most likely due to the fact that I have no idea how to go about solving questions that I see in the olympiads. Also, is learning matrices hard, or could I learn it in some weeks?? 

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Hey Ossih!

Thanks for the comment and yes, I actually think that it's better to look at past questions from math contests such as the Olympiad. However, I'm having trouble finding a question that would actually be suitable for an EE. This is most likely due to the fact that I have no idea how to go about solving questions that I see in the olympiads. Also, is learning matrices hard, or could I learn it in some weeks?? 

Thanks a lot!

That's a good point. Maybe, a good place to start is finding a book like 100 Advanced Mathematical Problems (I have something like that, I'll PM it to you, it didn't help me though) and seeing if you find something. There's a lot of trig involved in the problems that I found in that book. Another thing, matrices can be easily learnt in a few weeks. What you want to do with them however, is another thinking exercise :P I've seen applications of matrices to transformations. I don't have much to say haha. The ones I know they did from our school are on cryptography, and that's so cliché. Anyways, I'll PM you and see if you get any inspiration :D

Hello guys,

Hey Ossih!

Thanks a lot!

That's a good point. Maybe, a good place to start is finding a book like 100 Advanced Mathematical Problems (I have something like that, I'll PM it to you, it didn't help me though) and seeing if you find something. There's a lot of trig involved in the problems that I found in that book. Another thing, matrices can be easily learnt in a few weeks. What you want to do with them however, is another thinking exercise :P I've seen applications of matrices to transformations. I don't have much to say haha. The ones I know they did from our school are on cryptography, and that's so cliché. Anyways, I'll PM you and see if you get any inspiration :D

Hey Ossih!

I looked over the entire book but I don't think that the questions will be ones I can explore and write an EE in 2 months. They appear to be problems that university level students can explore... However, I looked at the math olympiad collection and found some:

A soldier needs to check on the presence of mines in a region having the

shape of an equilateral triangle. The radius of action of his detector is equal

to half the altitude of the triangle. The soldier leaves from one vertex of the

triangle. What path should he follow in order to travel the least possible

distance and still accomplish his mission?

Five students, A;B;C;D;E; took part in a contest. One prediction was that

the contestants would finish in the order ABCDE: This prediction was very

poor. In fact no contestant finished in the position predicted, and no two

contestants predicted to finish consecutively actually did so. A second prediction

had the contestants finishing in the order DAECB: This prediction

was better. Exactly two of the contestants finished in the places predicted,

and two disjoint pairs of students predicted to finish consecutively actually

did so. Determine the order in which the contestants finished.

Twenty-one girls and twenty-one boys took part in a mathematical contest.

• Each contestant solved at most six problems.

• For each girl and each boy, at least one problem was solved by both of them.

Prove that there was a problem that was solved by at least three girls and at least three boys

How are these. And for the people you know that did an olympiad question for their EE, what did they do with it besides solving it? And would the RQ be the question of the problem?

Thanks again!

Hello guys,

Hey Ossih!

Thanks a lot!

Hey Ossih!

I looked over the entire book but I don't think that the questions will be ones I can explore and write an EE in 2 months. They appear to be problems that university level students can explore... However, I looked at the math olympiad collection and found some:

A soldier needs to check on the presence of mines in a region having the

shape of an equilateral triangle. The radius of action of his detector is equal

to half the altitude of the triangle. The soldier leaves from one vertex of the

triangle. What path should he follow in order to travel the least possible

distance and still accomplish his mission?

Five students, A;B;C;D;E; took part in a contest. One prediction was that

the contestants would finish in the order ABCDE: This prediction was very

poor. In fact no contestant finished in the position predicted, and no two

contestants predicted to finish consecutively actually did so. A second prediction

had the contestants finishing in the order DAECB: This prediction

was better. Exactly two of the contestants finished in the places predicted,

and two disjoint pairs of students predicted to finish consecutively actually

did so. Determine the order in which the contestants finished.

Twenty-one girls and twenty-one boys took part in a mathematical contest.

• Each contestant solved at most six problems.

• For each girl and each boy, at least one problem was solved by both of them.

Prove that there was a problem that was solved by at least three girls and at least three boys

How are these. And for the people you know that did an olympiad question for their EE, what did they do with it besides solving it? And would the RQ be the question of the problem?

Thanks again!

I like the first one. The other 2 sound like problems rather than something you'd write an essay on. The first one has, this is a guess, a bunch of approaches you can use and refine upon. I think that's what Math EE's are about. I'll PM you two exemplar Math EE's, one is a question from the 100 Mathematical Problems and the other is a question from an olympiad. I hope it helps :) I don't personally know anyone who did an olympiad question, but the essay I'm sending you is based on one

• Like 1