EE Question... Which question is better?

bestzappy

Hey everyone, I just want the opinion of some people on these forums. I have my topic down, I'm gonna do it on the Japanese medical experiments during world war 2, but I'm not sure which question I should go with:

1) Why were the Japanese human experimenters not properly prosecuted by the American government?

or

2) Was the granting of immunity by the United States government to the Japanese Medical Experimenters justified?

The first question I was going to do at first, but looking into it the answer it really obvious and is well known. The second question I like more, but I'm not sure if questions based on ethics and stuff would be a good one for an EE. All opinions are welcome  :phone:

Sooo you've missed out mentioning the most important part of the EE which is - what subject are you intending to do your EE in?

Each subject has different criteria for marking, so it's important to pick a subject and THEN a topic, in order to ensure the topic is indeed appropriate for the subject. Otherwise, if it's not on-message with the criteria, you won't score well even with a great essay.

I vote no for the second option, because like you said it's too ethic-y. Good question, but not for an EE. However, I'm not sure about the first option either. You're right again in that the reasoning behind the action is too widely known. I think your best bet is to go digging a little deeper into the circumstances around the event in hopes of finding a useful point from which to formulate a research question.

Possible ideas: was there a political reaction from other countries to the grant? Did the Soviets know about the grant and/or the reasoning behind it? If so, to what extent? If not, did they ever find out? Also, did the Soviet trials have any effect on the American actions? When was knowledge made available to the US public, and what was their opinion?

If none of those work, or if the answers are also too well-known [all I did was read the wikipedia article, I don't know], hopefully they at least give you a place to start from! Good luck!

The first question is too enclosed - you could answer it in a couple of sentences. It needs to be a bit more open.

The second question seems too TOK like and not exactly what you need for an EE.

I think you should briefly explain what you hope to include in the essay and then maybe i can give you some suggestions.

I vote no for the second option, because like you said it's too ethic-y. Good question, but not for an EE. However, I'm not sure about the first option either. You're right again in that the reasoning behind the action is too widely known. I think your best bet is to go digging a little deeper into the circumstances around the event in hopes of finding a useful point from which to formulate a research question.

Possible ideas: was there a political reaction from other countries to the grant? Did the Soviets know about the grant and/or the reasoning behind it? If so, to what extent? If not, did they ever find out? Also, did the Soviet trials have any effect on the American actions? When was knowledge made available to the US public, and what was their opinion?

If none of those work, or if the answers are also too well-known [all I did was read the wikipedia article, I don't know], hopefully they at least give you a place to start from! Good luck!

So I liked those questions and i tried to look into them a little bit but im having a lot of trouble finding information on the reaction to America granting immunity. I did find that the Soviets started their trials after the U.S. granted immunity, however I couldnt find any information stating that the Soviet's trials were done as a response to America letting the experimenters off free. I found out a lot about the Soviet trials though. I'm just having trouble digging around the event to form a better question /:

Could i possibly make a question relating unit 731 to the Nazi medical experiments?

The first question is too enclosed - you could answer it in a couple of sentences. It needs to be a bit more open.

I think you should briefly explain what you hope to include in the essay and then maybe i can give you some suggestions.

In the essay I wanted to include information about the history and experiments done in unit 731, possibly comparing them to the nazi medical trials. I also wanted to explain the situation between America and the Japanese experimenters, and how differently the Soviets went about prosecuting the experimenters. Then I was going to provide other information depending on my research question once it was set in stone, however I'm having difficulty deciding on exactly which aspect of this event I want to focus on, and how to properly form it into a question.

In the essay I wanted to include information about the history and experiments done in unit 731, possibly comparing them to the nazi medical trials. I also wanted to explain the situation between America and the Japanese experimenters, and how differently the Soviets went about prosecuting the experimenters. Then I was going to provide other information depending on my research question once it was set in stone, however I'm having difficulty deciding on exactly which aspect of this event I want to focus on, and how to properly form it into a question.

Maybe ask something like how well did America respond to the situation of the medical experiments. You can then compare it to the response towards the nazis and the response of the soviets as you come to your judgement.

Try and find a question which allows you to talk about all of these things.

Maybe ask something like how well did America respond to the situation of the medical experiments. You can then compare it to the response towards the nazis and the response of the soviets as you come to your judgement.

Try and find a question which allows you to talk about all of these things.

How does this question sound?

What were the post-war careers of the medical doctors of unit 731 and what aspects of Japanese society during that time period allowed them to continue to have prosperous careers? 

I'm thinking about analyzing the careers of the doctors after world war 2 and then explaining how the characteristics of the time period allowed them to be accepted into japanese society. I dont think the question sounds professional and developed enough yet however. Do you think you can help me rephrase it so its a little better?

Maybe just: What aspects of Japanese society allowed the medical doctors of unit 731to have successful post war careers?

You don't need to state everything that you will talk about in the title and remember you get marks for having a clear and concise title

• Like 1