Armenian Genocide

John9

Armenian Genocide YES or NO ?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that Armenian deaths in the 1940s can be categorized as "genocide" ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't have an opinion

Hey guys,

I am from Turkey, and I've been keen on researching about Armenian Genocide. I need a poll for a project, so I would be glad if you can take a few seconds to answer. I'm not gonna give you my own opinion so that it wouldn't influence you. 

"Armenian Genocide" is stated (by Armenia) to be a planned murder of Armenian race by the Ottoman Empire (old-Turkey) in the 20th century. 

Edited by John9

I'll be honest, until I saw your post I didn't realize their was any question. All I can see is that the term itself is in question (some people/countries don't think that the incident was 'genocide'). I think you might want to rephrase your post and poll. At first I thought it was whether people believed the thousands of Armenians died at all. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide_recognition

Thank you for your comment, however I'm afraid I don't understand your concern. Of course the death of Armenians is not in question, and it being a tragedy. 

The question is whether people would charecterize it as a "genocide" because the term itself has a legal definition and it's not open to interpretation. My study is about the effect of the propaganda on people.  Actually, without having sufficent amount of historical knowledge upon the issue we can't have an opinion because it is not about what people think but historical facts&figures. That's why only historians should and are able to discuss and debate upon it. 

That's why the question/poll aims to gather the "opinions" of IB students in order to evaluate the effect of propaganda. "Do we really claim to have ideas about things without having any information ?"

Hope that satisfies your concern, Moderator.