Art EE; is my question too broad? Banksy & Ai Weiwei

chyeahbear

My question was initially "In what ways do the contemporary artists Ai Weiwei and Banksy use art to convey their political ideas and opinions?" 

My plan of attack was going to be:

-Study the history of political art and its current role in society

-Study major works of the two artists

-Analyse the technique and preparation behind the works, and other aspects

-Analyse the consequences of these works i.e. their effect on society, their effectiveness in conveying their message

I've poured in hours of research, and I'm pretty sure I'm not researching in the right places, but I also find I'm not getting anywhere with my research. My ideas are kinda constipated in my head right now.

My friend who finished IB last year told me that my ideas sound very narrative and literal, and I need to do more analysis, or maybe find an issue that can allow me to do more analysis.

We brainstormed some ideas and came up with issues like:

- SENSATIONALISM; do people like the artworks or the artist?

- OWNERSHIP; who really owns the art when it's done in a public/private place of someone else?

- WHAT COUNTS AS ART; can you call Banksy and Ai Weiwei's art "art"?

I feel like I'll have to start all over again which is a huge amount of stress because we've been working on the EE for months now.

Can you guys please help me and give me some direction? Direction is all I need to go on a roll but without it I am completely and hopelessly lost :/ thank you in advance!

Edited by chyeahbear