Economics EE, desperately needing help

ibjazzo

Hey there!

I'm having a little problem here. I'll be doing my EE on economics and right now I'm pretty much stuck... I'm researching the oligopoly between two supermarkets in my city (for example are the in collusive oligopoly or not), but I'm not sure what things I should investigate here. I have contacted the bosses of the other company and they are happy to answer my questions. Any suggestions?

Hey ibjazzo,

You should look at the criterias of the oligopoly and compare those to certain aspects of the market that you're studying. For instance, you know that oligopolies are characterized by a differentiation of the sold goods. You could ask consummers "Do you think that good x and good y are very different? Different? Similar?" and once you have the answers (which contitute your primary research) you can use statistics to interpret the results. 

Here is an example of EE dealing with the same kind of question: http://www.itseducation.asia/dried-seafood-hong-kong.htm
Hope it helps.

Best,

• Like 2

Hey there!

I'm having a little problem here. I'll be doing my EE on economics and right now I'm pretty much stuck... I'm researching the oligopoly between two supermarkets in my city (for example are the in collusive oligopoly or not), but I'm not sure what things I should investigate here. I have contacted the bosses of the other company and they are happy to answer my questions. Any suggestions?

Hey I'm doing a similar EE question :D PM me! I'll tell you what methods I'm planning to use :)