IA Moderation Experience

Mine hasn't gone through yet, but my teacher gave some horror stories about IAs.

For example, one student turned in his with the title page saying something about TWE was _______'s role important in the Vietnam Wart?" In case you missed it, he said warT. Now, I don't think he was marked down specifically for that, especially because the question was typed correctly in the paper, but I think doing something like that puts the grader in a bad mood, or rather a bad perspective of you as someone who is lazy and careless.

• Like 1

My Chemistry IA was moderated from a 7 down to a 4. My chemistry teacher basically had no idea about what was good and what was bad. On the plus side my Spanish teacher who disliked me gave me a 6 for my coursework and it was moderated up to a 7, so things go both ways :P Most of the rest of my IAs, the marks hardly changed because my teachers were spot on with their marking. It really depends on how good your teacher is at marking to the IB's standards.

As I went to a very small school (IB cohort was small anyway), all my coursework for everything got sent off for moderation. If you're in a bigger place, yours may not even get sent.

• Like 1

We got moderated up for physics (our teacher marked very, very harshly). I only went up 1 mark, but I know quite a few people went up by a substantial number of marks. On the other hand, I went down 4 marks in history and 3 marks in maths. All my other subjects stayed pretty stable though. So sometimes your mark will go up, sometimes down, sometimes by a lot, sometimes by a little - as Sandwich has said, it does depend on the teacher. :) Unfortunately, you can't control that, though you usually get some idea of how moderation will go based on the experiences of previous classes who have had that teacher for IB!