PS for two subjects

Sofia.

Hi! 

I'm trying (and failing so far) to write my PS for UCAS :P. I'm going to be applying for two ( rather similar) courses: geography and environmental sciences. How do I write my PS? Do I avoid mentioning the name(s) of the subject(s)?

Thanks in advance!

Mention your interests in both, but don't make specific references to either your subjects or your courses and schools you are applying to. The places you apply to will know that your personal statement may not necessarily be able to specifically state the courses that you want to apply to as your five choices will probably be different in some ways. Since your subjects are similar, discuss your interest on both - ideally you would link them together. 

I know how you feel :P writing the PS is incredibly annoying, especially since two of my choices are totally different to the rest. 

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Hi! 

I'm trying (and failing so far) to write my PS for UCAS :P. I'm going to be applying for two ( rather similar) courses: geography and environmental sciences. How do I write my PS? Do I avoid mentioning the name(s) of the subject(s)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there! 

Firstly, you should know that admissions officers tend to sympathize with us students more than we think :D For example, when I was writing my PS for PPE, I was worried I would be automatically rejected by LSE, as their course was Philosophy and Economics (i.e. there was no politics). However, after I emailed them, they reassured me that it is common for tutors to receive PS' that are not quite exactly in line with the course. So long as the majority of your PS is relevant, you'll be fine. 

It'll be hard not to mention Geography or Environmental Sci in a PS about both of them :P So instead, simply be frank about them. It's best if you sound natural and can relate the two, talking about them as if they were... simply different shades of the same colour (if that makes sense). 

• Like 1