Should I continue in Math HL

faisal

So I am currently in my summer vacation before my senior year and trying to catch up to what I missed in Math HL last year (Quadratics, functions, Complex numbers, Trigonometry, Vectors, Statistics and probability) I am finding it quite challenging and the questions in the question bank are torture. The thing is I did SL last year and I breezed through it barely studying got nearly a hundred on the last few topics

but then I realized that the Uni I want to go to (UCLA) requires HL Math so I had to make this switch. My friends family and teachers all advice me not to continue and just go back to SL because I can guarantee a 7. So I decided to ask people with prior experience so tell me can I continue with HL and still get a 7 (albeit after lots of work) or go back to SL. And if you think I should stick to HL what topics should I focus on and how to study for them (I am already done with functions and vectors).

Oh and are row operations included or not.

Thanks in advance.

The questions in the questionbank are always torture to those who don't know the material - so don't worry too much about that. If you think you're capable of catching up in the IB1 content during the summer just continue and attend a few HL classes at the start of senior year. If you feel too lost then, just leave, but if you are OK, stay for a bit more and try to make your way through the course. Make sure you talk to your coordinator to find out when the final deadline for enrolling into exams is, so that you have a deadline by which you need to make up your mind. Honestly, if you enjoy math, stick to HL for as long as you can as it can be quite fun.

(Side note: what do you want to study at UCLA? I have a friend who will be attending starting this year and she did not take math HL. Also excuse any typos please - this was written on a phone.)

Good luck and feel free to ask anymore questions! :)

• Like 1

I want to do engineering in UCLA and yes I am an international student and I am sure they want math HL as in the requirements page they only mention HL. http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/a-g-requirements/index.html#math here is a link to the page I am talking about (It actually covers all the different UC campuses). 

Oh and Maroctam do you know how much your friend got on her SAT's and IB"s and congratulations on your grades :).  

Oh and Maroctam do you know how much your friend got on her SAT's and IB"s and congratulations on your grades :).

My friend is going to do pre-med at UCLA (or something like that) and she got 40/45 points. I really don't know what she got on her SATs but she said she got 1700 on her first try without practicing - she took it again later after having studied and I don't know what she got on that. And thank you :)

Just saying - there were people at my school who were failing maths HL, so they switched to SL, and ended up barely getting a 4. Moving down a level won't guarantee a better result, but if the difficulty of the content itself is the problem, then switching to SL would be the best choice. That being said, HL is a lot of fun if you're willing to put in the effort to understand it :)

Do you absolutely need a 7 in maths to get into uni?

I need at least 5, a 6 would be more than great. But UCLA is a quite competitive University and since my SAT does not stand out (1890 it's my third try and I wont do it again) I need to compensate it with a better mark in something else hence the 7 in math HL. But I'll be more than happy with a 6 since a 7 is a bit of a reach given my other two HL subjects being Physics and Chemistry and I aim for no less than a 7 in those two.

• 1 month later...

I also want to go to UCLA, but my understanding is that they may only have listed HL because that's the only thing that they'll give credit for in the engineering college. If you're still unsure, email the admission's office. As far as I know, it is not required. My school doesn't offer it, so I can't take it.