Is it too late to drop HL psychology for HL music?

daisymvazquez

So my senior year still hasn't started yet and this summer I have decided to change my choice of career to music education. I feel like it isn't really necessary for me to take psychology, in fact, I'm not really into it. I've already been taking chorus classes for all of high school and I'm captain for my senior year so I've learned much more musically. I looked at the HL music requirements and I think I can handle it all because my Extended essay is also based on the curriculum HL music focuses on with analyzing compositions and music terminology. My only issue would be the compositions but I can be dedicated to learn how to compose. I want to switch so I can focus more on what I want to study for my senior year however I think it might me too late to change my HL course. I did really bad on my recent AP psychology test so I think I have a problem for the IB test if I don't change my HL. I believe my counselor asked me to write out my finally decisions my junior year as to what HL and SL tests I wanted to take but I'm not sure if they are officially sent out my junior year. Is there anything I can do to change this before senior year starts?! Please let me know and I know I hate that this is so last minute. 

Option 1 - continue with Psch 

You will not enjoy it and maybe not do as well as you want but you may still get the IB diploma if you put in enough work. As someone who was forced to study a subject I found dreary for 4 years, Geography, I can sympathise with you when you say you are not into your subject. I personally think is the smart choice to continue with Psch under the condition that you put in effort into figuring out how to get high grades. Work smarter instead of harder.

Option 2 - change to Music

It is extremely damn difficult and dangerous to change subjects this late in the IB diploma. You will have to learn 2 years of the syllabus in 1 year and will have less experience on what to do in the subject than your peers who already did 1 year in Music HL. You may think you may be able to do it but things might not work out as well since in your final year you may be swamped with: EE, TOK essay and presentation, finishing up your CAS, university/college applications, exam prep so you may not have enough time to learn the 2 year course in 1 year. I recommend you take the Option 1 because Option 2 will most likely be even more painful. 

I have never taken music personally so I don't know the specifics but from what I've heard it's not a walk in the park. yii yann, a mod on this forums took Music HL and so may be able to give much better advice than me.