So, hey. I just started IB like 2 days ago and my teacher asked me to think about a topic for IA. He didn't discuss or explain what should we do in IA or examples of topic that we can use for IA.

Can anybody help me and my friends in class? Explaining about the IA and what should we do. Maybe examples of IA could help us :)

Thank you,

rhapsodysiscaa

Research questions should be like this:

Was [doing something] a sound business decision for [name of organisation] in terms of [brand image/finance etc.].

It is better to choose a topic where you can do lots of calculating, because it is more straightforward and it is easier to find sources.

Mine was: Was taking over [business X] a financially sound business decision for [business Y]?

I handed in my final draft only last month, so I don't know my results yet. Mine was under the old syllabus, yours will be under the new syllabus. If I'm not wrong, the IAs are similar with different criteria.

Check these web pages out; I've found them pretty useful:

http://www.timwoods.org/2011/10/10/how-to-get-full-marks-for-your-ib-business-ia/
http://www.timwoods.org/2012/10/02/how-to-structure-a-business-and-management-internal-assessment/

And I don't have any exemplars, sorry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Research questions should be like this:

Was [doing something] a sound business decision for [name of organisation] in terms of [brand image/finance etc.].

It is better to choose a topic where you can do lots of calculating, because it is more straightforward and it is easier to find sources.

Mine was: Was taking over [business X] a financially sound business decision for [business Y]?

I handed in my final draft only last month, so I don't know my results yet. Mine was under the old syllabus, yours will be under the new syllabus. If I'm not wrong, the IAs are similar with different criteria.

Check these web pages out; I've found them pretty useful:

http://www.timwoods.org/2011/10/10/how-to-get-full-marks-for-your-ib-business-ia/

http://www.timwoods.org/2012/10/02/how-to-structure-a-business-and-management-internal-assessment/

And I don't have any exemplars, sorry.

Isn't that for SL?

I'm taking HL btw. And I think I'm going to use Malaysia Airlines as the company

• 2 weeks later...

Note: I did B&M under the old syllabus, and I believe you're starting out with the new syllabus. So what I say may/may not still be relevant.

First things first, read the syllabus if you haven't already, because it basically tells you what the IA is and what you need to do very clearly.

Feel free to google past IA examples, but be wary that you've got a new syllabus - I've quickly skimmed through the new syllabus and your IA seems mostly the same, but do take care.

A good IA question might typically start with.. To what extent should company X.. do something (e.g. open a new product line, open up a new store, hire more employees, etc).

Whilst Malaysia Airlines would be extremely interesting to analyse given the aftermath of the disasters to see what they need to do to sustain business in the future, I would strong recommend not doing this company. When I did the IA, one IA criteria concerns how useful your IA will be to the company. Your suggestions will be pointless because it is extremely unlikely that Malaysia Airlines will actually implement any of your suggestions. I don't think you have this criteria anymore? Regardless, more importantly - the IA should be heavily primary research focused, and if you do this company you will basically be unable to do much significant primary research as there's little to no chance that you'll be able to speak to any influential figures, i.e. the CEO or the other bosses in the company.

In my personal opinion, it is much, much better to choose a small local company (not a franchise), just a small company that's in your area. If your family or any friends, relatives have a business, then that's usually a good way to go as information is more accessible and they'll want to help you out. Otherwise, just go around and ask businesses nicely, hopefully you'll find someone willing to help you out.

For a topic - it should be forward looking - e.g. should they do this. Avoid questions analysing things they've done in the past. Talk to the business owner, see if they're looking to grow their company, usually then thinking about strategies they might take to help grow their company will lead you to a question you might be able to analyse. Just my thoughts, hope it helps :)

• Like 1

Note: I did B&M under the old syllabus, and I believe you're starting out with the new syllabus. So what I say may/may not still be relevant.

First things first, read the syllabus if you haven't already, because it basically tells you what the IA is and what you need to do very clearly.

Feel free to google past IA examples, but be wary that you've got a new syllabus - I've quickly skimmed through the new syllabus and your IA seems mostly the same, but do take care.

A good IA question might typically start with.. To what extent should company X.. do something (e.g. open a new product line, open up a new store, hire more employees, etc).

Whilst Malaysia Airlines would be extremely interesting to analyse given the aftermath of the disasters to see what they need to do to sustain business in the future, I would strong recommend not doing this company. When I did the IA, one IA criteria concerns how useful your IA will be to the company. Your suggestions will be pointless because it is extremely unlikely that Malaysia Airlines will actually implement any of your suggestions. I don't think you have this criteria anymore? Regardless, more importantly - the IA should be heavily primary research focused, and if you do this company you will basically be unable to do much significant primary research as there's little to no chance that you'll be able to speak to any influential figures, i.e. the CEO or the other bosses in the company.

In my personal opinion, it is much, much better to choose a small local company (not a franchise), just a small company that's in your area. If your family or any friends, relatives have a business, then that's usually a good way to go as information is more accessible and they'll want to help you out. Otherwise, just go around and ask businesses nicely, hopefully you'll find someone willing to help you out.

For a topic - it should be forward looking - e.g. should they do this. Avoid questions analysing things they've done in the past. Talk to the business owner, see if they're looking to grow their company, usually then thinking about strategies they might take to help grow their company will lead you to a question you might be able to analyse. Just my thoughts, hope it helps :)

I think you're right :o My Business & Management approved it though. I seriously don't know what to do now .___. I agree what you said.

How about a dealer type of a business?