Will this be too much?

polopipo

Hello everyone! I'm a Spanish student currently living in Abu Dhabi, UAE, who is starting the IB this September.I have already chosen my subjects as listed below: 

HL Maths 

HL Physics 

HL Computer Science 

SL Business and Management 

SL English (Language 1) 

SL French (Language 2) 

I'm really exited about this year, but I've been reading a lot about the IB during this summer, and I'm concerned that my HL subjects might be too much work. I know that in the IB you have to have good time management and not procrastinate, and I am willing to do it, but I still think that it is too much work. Should I drop one of my HLs and take Business and Management HL instead of SL, as it won't be as stressing as Physics or Computer Science in HL? 

Thank you :D

If you are interested in the subjects and are willing to put the time into studying them, you should be fine. The first few months may seem bit overwhelming because there's a notable jump in difficulty with subjects like maths and physics from grade 10 (at least for me that was the case) but it'll slowly improve. If you are worried, you can always take B&M as a 4th HL and drop a subject after trying it for a few weeks.

I wouldn't say B&M would necessarily be an easy alternative though, just because it's considered by many as an easy subject. My HL's for example were Maths, Physics and Economics, but I found Econ to be the hardest subject out of the three to score well in.

• Like 3

No way! I'm an Abu Dhabi student starting the IBDP this year as well! 

I'm not taking any of those same courses but what you've put yourself into does sound a bit hard though that could be from my perspective, since I'm not good at your HL subjects.

However, if you're passionate and ready for the challenges that await for you in the IB as much as you sound you are, the classes will fly by like a breeze and you'll enjoy what comes with them.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm not taking any of those same courses but what you've put yourself into does sound a bit hard though that could be from my perspective, since I'm not good at your HL subjects.

However, if you're passionate and ready for the challenges that await for you in the IB as much as you sound you are, the classes will fly by like a breeze and you'll enjoy what comes with them.

Good luck!

Thank you for your answer! What school do you go to in AD? 

Good luck!

I'll be going to Raha International School as a new student this year. What about you?

Good luck!

I'll be going to Raha International School as a new student this year. What about you?

I go to Gems American Academy, really close to Raha, and this is going to be my second year in Abu Dhabi 

No dude, you should be fine. From what I can tell you're a smart and dedicated student. Those are the key characteristics required to ace IB I reckon. I'm doing 4 HLs, Chem, Math, Physics and English. Planning on dropping at the end of the year though 

Thank you! I'm willing to put a lot of effort during this two years. I wanted to do 4 HL's too (Maths, Physics, Computer Science and Business and Management/History) but the IB Coordinator at my school told me it wasn't a good decision, as Universities don't really care about whether you take 3 or 4 HLs. Nevertheless, I will still try to take my fourth HL at the beginning of the year and drop it to SL if I can't manage the workload.

Good luck!

I go to Gems American Academy, really close to Raha, and this is going to be my second year in Abu Dhabi 

It'll be my third :-).  Good luck and I hope you learn to manage your classes well.

Good luck!

It'll be my third :-).  Good luck and I hope you learn to manage your classes well.

Good luck to you too! :D