Question about English LangLit HL & SL

Hello, I am a student who will be starting the IB this year.

I chose english SL as my subject but I am wondering if it would be better to have it as a HL.

The problem is English is not my native language (although I have picked it up from a young age and is in English A) and always have trouble writing academic English. I generally get 5s on my report card and recently got a 6. 

Do you think it would be better for me to keep SL rather than HL if I am aiming at least a 6 in the IB for the English Course?

Thanks. :)

Guest Aniruddh

It all depends on you. English being your native language is not a problem since AFAIK many native speakers have problem with it as well!

If you're willing to work hard, I'd day go for HL but you might be jeopardizing your scores, and there really is no point in taking it at HL unless you like literature or are majoring in English.

What I'd suggest is take it at HL, give a couple of tests and then depending on your scores, make a decision.

It all depends on you. English being your native language is not a problem since AFAIK many native speakers have problem with it as well!

If you're willing to work hard, I'd day go for HL but you might be jeopardizing your scores, and there really is no point in taking it at HL unless you like literature or are majoring in English.

What I'd suggest is take it at HL, give a couple of tests and then depending on your scores, make a decision.

To be honest, English is my weakest subject and I am not sure if I can reach the score I want. Also, if the course is time consuming, I am not really sure if it is the level for me. Help?

Guest Aniruddh

I think you answered your own question didn't you? I don't know about your other subjects so I can't give you sound advice but since English is your weakest score go for SL and do yourself a favour.

If the total score out of 45 didn't matter so much I'd probably have taken HL (Lit only) myself.

Edited by Aniruddh

Go for SL. There are so many less Oral and Written Tasks. To be frank they are head aches. You will have a much larger workload for HL and like he said, if your not willing to put in the consistent hours you will struggle gravely! My first language is English and SL is still challenging. Good luck!

• Like 1