Which language should I choose?

Ok this is my schedule as of right now:

HL English

HL Physics

HL Math

HL Spanish

SL Visual Art

HL History

My school only offers HL Spanish and ab initio German SL. I have taken Spanish for four years now, this will be my fifth year. I currently have 5 HLs, but I only want to take 4 HLs. Would you suggest that I take German SL or take the Spanish HL class for two years but take the Spanish B SL test? The benefit of taking the HL Spanish class is that I can potentially garner an extra GPA point, but a drawback is that I am taking an HL course load for an SL test. Is that reasonably worth it, considering that I already have 4? Please answer, if I need to change my schedule, I need to do it as soon as possible.

If it helps, I want to major in Biology and I am a non-native speaker in Spanish.

Edited by helpwithib

If you feel confident in Spanish i would try doing it on HL but i am not sure if it is possible to do 5 HL's. German is a tiny bit similar to english in terms of vocabulary but it is a hard language to learn for native english-speakers so if you are not willing to put a lot of effort into learing it i wouldn't touch it. :)

I'd say you shouldn't really bother with HL spanish. One major difference in HL and SL is that HL requires you to study literature whereas you wouldn't do that for SL. 

If possible, just stay in the SL class for spanish B and seeing as you already speak it, despite non-native, it will be easier, especially in comparison to learning a new language.

Do not bother taking 5 HLs as in my understanding, it won't give you much credit in wanting to study biology later on. Instead, make your own life easier by taking a subject that will be relatively easier than if you had taken HL Spanish B.

I'd even recommend against doing 4 HLs...but thats up to you.

• 3 weeks later...

At my school, we can do any language by correspondence. This may not be the case for all but that's how I'm able to do my two preferred languages (French SL + Italian Ab), try and ask your IB coordinator if you really want to do Spanish SL and just check in with the Spanish from time to time to check you're on the right track etc. or just get a completely new language (another Romantic language if you have a background with Spanish perhaps?)