Do I need exactly 50 hours of each component?

Hi.

I was wondering if it as strict requirement to do 50 hours of every CAS component.

I live in a small city and there aren't many sport classes offered. I'm worried that I won't be able to fulfill the requirement of doing 50 hours of Action and I will miss the deadline set by my school (April 2015) for CAS reflections. However, I have joined two foundations so I will probably have much more than 50 hours of Service by April 2015. So will I fail CAS if I have for example only 30 hours of Action but, say, 70 hours of Service (it gives altogether 100)? Or maybe it isn't that important? Maybe it depends solely on school's policy?

I guess I will somehow manage to do these 50 hours but I would rather be sure if there is a reason to worry.

Thanks in advance. :)

You CAS coordinator will be a big deal as they grade it, but the 50 hours is not a minimum. It was a guideline, and I doubt many schools would fail you if you were a few hours short (maybe not down in the 30s, that's pretty far). I think you should consider running. I hate it, I hate all action :) But it is cheap (free, really, if you have shoes) and easy and qualifies. You don't have to join a sports team for it to count for CAS, you just need to stay active and improve.

• Like 1

It's going to depend on how your coordinator wants to run things. At my school, we had to either have a minimum 50 hours in each category, or a "reasonable balance" between the three categories if you were going to do just 150 hours. This meant you could do 50-50-50, or you could do 40-50-60, or 45-45-60, or something like that, but you couldn't have like 20-50-80 because that's not balanced. As long as you've got the minimum 150 and a balance between all three areas, you'll be fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...