EE Group 1 Language A - help!?

Jennifer S

Hey, 

So my question is about writing a category 3 (Studies in language) EE in Language A.

In the EE guide it says 

"Where appropriate, students may compare and contrast different languages and cultures. However, the main focus of category 3 extended essays should be on the language and culture(s) of the language in which the extended essay is written."

Does this mean I could only talk about the culture of my language or should I really focus on the language? 

I am not sure what you mean by "the culture of *my* language.."... I see your name -- sounds very anglo-- then the Dutch flag: ... and you go to an international school. So what is "your" culture if we go by just these crudest of indicators?

Your extended essay, I assume, will be in English, right? So then, it will be some aspect of anglophone culture that you will be studying. And if that's what you mean by your culture, then all good and well.

So, by way of example: let's say you choose to compare and contrast the use of politeness forms in Dutch and English. The emphasis of your EE then will be on demonstrating your understanding of aspects of anglophone culture -- not Dutch culture. So in other words, anything you say about the Dutch use of politeness forms will be used mostly to highlight some aspect of English culture which you are exploring. You are not exploring Dutch culture.

You won't get a better example of what this looks like than with Wierzbicka

Now, to your main Q. 

Language and culture are inextricably entwined-- in fact, they are different sides of the same coin. Think LANGUACULTURE. Do not confuse culture with "nationality" or "race" as we tend to do.  Culture is all about the shared ways of making sense. Discourse. Not discourse in the everyday sense, but in the academic (Kramsch 1993, Pennycook, VanLier), And because culture is almost exclusively learnt and mediated via language, you cannot properly talk about a "culture without language".

Check out Kramsch's engaging little lecture. What she gives is better than the watered down bite-size pap we get in the IB classroom. 

So your question only really makes sense if you are asking if in a Group 1 EE you are expected to give plenty of linguistic examples. The answer is "yes".

Edited by Blackcurrant