What additional books for History HL course?

dannym

Hi guys!

As the time has come and in a few days I will be starting my IB course I just wondered if you find it vital to buy some additional history books in order to manage well with History HL course as I have seen many offers from the former IB students encouraging to buy some books that are not actually course books, like "Mastering Modern World History (...)" and so on... What would you say? And if yes, would somebody be so king and make a list of books that may come in handy to cope with all History HL stuff? :) I would greatly appreciate it.

• Like 1

Hi!

My teacher gave me a list of books that may be useful for IB History. I thought that you could make use of them too (some of them are in Polish but that shouldn't be a problem for you).  :shifty:

Here you go:

1. Mastering Modern World History. Fourth Edition; by Lowe Norman. Palgrave Macmillan
2. GCSE Modern World History. Second Edition; by Ben Walsh. Hodder Murray
3. 20th Century World History. Course Companion; by Martin Cannon, Richard Jones-Nerzic, David 
Keys, Alexis Mamaux, Michael Miller, Giles Pope, David Smith, Aidan Williams. Oxford University 
Press
4. History of Europe and the Middle East. Course Companion; by Mariam Habibi, Peyman Jafari, 
Richard Jones-Nerzic, David Keys, David Smith. Oxford University Press
5. History. IB Skills and Practice. For the IB Diploma; by Keely Rogers and Jo Thomas. Oxford 
University Press
6. History. A Comprehensive Guide to Paper 1 for the IB Diploma; by Brian Mimmack, Eunice Price, 
Daniela Senes. Pearson Baccalaureate
7. 20th Century World. Causes, Practices and Effects of Wars; by Kelly Rogers, Jo Thomas. Pearson 
Baccalaureate
8. 20th Century World. The Cold War; by Kelly Rogers, Jo Thomas. Pearson Baccalaureate
9. History for the IB Diploma: Peacemaking, Peacekeeping: International Relations 1918-36; by Nick 
Fellows. Cambridge University Press
10. History for the IB Diploma. Causes, Practices and Effects of Wars; by Michael Wells. Cambridge 
University Press
11. History for the IB Diploma. The Cold War; by Allan Todd. Cambridge University Press
12. Peacemaking, Peacekeeping. International Relations 1918-36. Access to History for the IB 
Diploma; by Andy Dailey, David Williamson. Hodder Education
13. Causes, Practices and Effects of Wars. Access to History for the IB Diploma; by Andy Dailey, Sarah 
Lyth-Lawley. Hodder Education
14. The Cold War. Access to History for the IB Diploma; by David Williamson. Hodder Education
15. Wielka Historia Åšwiata. Tom 11. Wielkie wojny XX wieku (1914-1945), pod red. M. Zagórniaka, 
Kraków 2006
16. Wielka Historia Åšwiata. Tom 12. Od drugiej wojny Å›wiatowej do XXI wieku, pod red. W. Rojka, 
Kraków 2006
17. A. CzubiÅ„ski, Historia powszechna XX wieku, PoznaÅ„ 2003

Good luck with IB! :)
Edited by Sceptyczka
  • Like 1

Thanks for the answear, that will certainly help me! But the amount of the books you listed in here kind of scare me, tho :( Is it even possible to flick through all of them ? :)

Nope, it's unnecessary but you will definitely more than 2 to have a more well rounded view of the events that you're studying. I would suggest going to a bookstore or seeing other IB students (older than you obviously) books and skimming through them to see which ones you like best. Either condense and focused of with pictures, colours etc. :D

• Like 1

These are just some books I have found helpful, I'm currently doing IB history route 2 as well. Our teacher says its not necessary to buy extra History books, but you can if you want to increase your knowledge and understanding in the field. 

The Origins of the Second World War- A J P Taylor 

The War Lords- A J P Taylor

Origins of the Chinese Revolution 1915-1949- Lucien Bianco

OSC IB Revision Guides IB History (Route 2: Origins and Development of Authoritarian Single Party States)

20th century History for Dummies- Séan Lang 

• Like 1