extended essay greek roman influence

Kamen rider baron

Is this meant to be a history EE? I'm sorry, but it's kind of shoddy. You're talking about tracing effects over literally millennia in less than 4000 words. Also, it kind of veers off into a more science-y region once you start talking about modern astronomy and EEs really do kind of have to stay in one subject. Granted, as far as I know astronomy isn't offered by the IB and probably never will be, but it's the principle of the thing really.

It's great that you're interested in Greco-Roman astronomy and that's actually a very good starting point for an essay. You just need to narrow it down and that is completely possible.

Here's how you might go about doing that:

• First, you decide what period of time you want to deal with. Are you thinking sometime during the heyday of ancient Greece, or perhaps during the post-Hellenistic period?
  • Next, within the time period, you pick a crucial astronomer or breakthrough. I know very little about astronomy so I can't really suggest much here. Maybe the discovery of a planet or a constellation? Tracking specific stars through the sky? Did someone come up with a widely-accepted planetary order? Or maybe there was one guy in particular you want to look at - Ptolemy, maybe?
  • So now you have a time period and a focal point. What were some of the effects of that? Did it allow other astronomers to make further breakthroughs? Did it create political tension [eg: Copernicus and Galileo's respective discoveries]? Did other astronomers readily accept your focal point or did it take a while for the idea to catch on? Did your focal point cause breakthroughs in other areas, like mapping or agronomics?

This isn't like an ironclad way to narrow your idea down, but it gets the premise across. Just pick one specific thing and trace its effects. However, you must have an ending point time-wise - probably 100 years max. Otherwise you won't be able to do your topic justice and you'll lose out on points.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

I agree with Jeeves - you need to narrow that down or choose something else (probably the latter, honestly). You're better off doing something in the last few hundred years, first of all, but if you are going to do ancient history, it should look very related to history (you're on the edge of science) and should have a clear time period you're looking at. Either "how did this event do something between these years (#-#)" or "How did this event in this time (#) affect this event hundreds of years later (#)." Either one of those is possible, but like I already said, you're way more likely to do well with a modern topic.