Economics Extended Essay- research question

otislover18

I wrote my extended essay over the summer. My research questions is "how will the recent anti-immigration vote affect Switzerland's prosperity". I'm basically looking at all the effects on macroeconomic objectives and on environmental sustainability. Before I started my essay I talked to my economics teacher (she's not my supervisor) and i showed her my question and plan and she said it was fine. now that I've finish my essay I talked to my supervisor (he's not even an econ teacher and i wasn't able to talk to him before i wrote it) and he's saying my question is way too broad. i was aware this was kind of an issue because I'm at 5800 words right now. The thing is I don't really know how to narrow it down. i was thinking of deleting the whole section on environmental sustainability but that still leaves me over the limit. he also thinks i should do more local research, like interview someone from my city instead of people who talk about the whole country (i have interviews with the swiss national bank, for example). would this be a good idea? Would I be penalized if my entire essay focuses on Switzerland as a whole? And any ideas to narrow down my question? 

Thank you 

Well there are two possible variables in your current question given that you can't further sub-divide the vote - so you can either narrow down 'Switzerland' to a smaller area, or further define 'prosperity'. Prosperity for whom, in what sector? If you pick a particular area of prosperity then that's narrowed it down already.

See which fits better with what you've already got is my advice, seeing as you've already got a lot of material and put a lot of work into it. Also remember that a decent amount can be edited out just by re-wording your essay and fixing it up. It's common to go slightly over the word count if you're really into something, and a certain proportion of that can be eliminated by editing your english. The ultimate goal is to hit 4000 words of top quality stuff, provided it's not 4,001 ;) So narrow your question but think very carefully about how you go about it.

I agree with everything Sandwich said above, but I also think you probably ought to go with either macroeconomic objectives OR environmental sustainability. Doing justice to both within 4000 words just kind of seems impossible. It'll also streamline your essay, so awkward passages will seem more obvious once you're focusing on just the one thing rather than two things with very different priorities. Does that make sense?

That makes sense. I was thinking of narrowing it down to macroeconomic objectives but my supervisor kept talking about narrowing it down to a more specific geographical location. I can't really do that with my topic though, because it would be impossible to find data to do that. So I think I'll just focus on a certain aspect of prosperity instead.