Scoring high on a retake?m

Michał H.

High five guys! 

Unfortunately I managed to fail this year's Math HL exam that I took in May. I have already singed up for a retake in Nov session, however some thoughts cannot get off my mind. Namely I scored 2 and my question is if it is possible to get a really high mark or at least above 5 taking my case into consideration? I know I have to study hard ( that's what I'm working on ). We all know if something is within our reach, we strive for achieving the goal. The thing is that I'd like to know if I have any chances of achieving mine. It helps a lot.. I mean mentally, you feel secure and you know what to fight for. Anyway .. please let me know what you think of it. CHEERS!

Edited by Michał H.

Of course you have a chance of getting a 5 this time around. How you do that is by learning from your past mistakes and fixing them.

Think about how you prepared for the exam the first time around. What worked, and what didn't? What topics did you know, and what topics did you not understand? Focus on those topics you didn't understand, but still review the stuff that you did so it's fresh. Fix whatever habits that didn't work in the past. Did you do past papers? Redo them again. Find a question bank and go through as many questions as it takes until you understand every topic on the syllabus. The good thing about this retake is now you've seen what being in the actual exam is like, and that nervousness you had the first time around won't be there as strongly this time.

I want to share a story with you that happened to me. It happened in uni and not the IB, but it's very much relevant. During my second semester in uni I decided to continue on in the math sequence that I had been in (an honors introductory calculus sequence). It was similar to the normal calculus sequence, but done in two semesters instead of three, and went more in depth into proving the topics and dealing with how the theorems came about, whereas the normal sequence did touch on that but would focus more on problem solving instead of theory. Instead of switching after my first semester in that sequence, which I should have because I found it too difficult and time consuming and only passed with a B (if the grading scale was like an IB grading scale, it'd be like a 5) because the teacher bumped up everyone's grade in the class, I stayed in it because I thought I'd be fine. I struggled that entire semester and failed every single midterm exam except one, which I got a D (probably like a 3) on. I came out of the class with a D average (so similar to a 2) and had failed. So what did I do? Instead of crying and being upset with myself (which I was, understandably) I signed up for that third calculus class because I could have my original grade forgiven by retaking a slightly lower-level class, and because the class that I was in was only offered in the spring due to it being a sequenced class, with the third semester calculus class being offered every semester. I did everything in that class that I didn't do in my other class (actually did the homework, went and asked questions when I didn't understand something, and studied a LOT). I even ended up tutoring classmates. I passed every single exam that semester with a grade of at least 90/100, and got an A in the class without any grade boost (similar to getting a 6 or 7 in IB). The following semester I did the same thing in the next math class and got another A without a grade boost. It's not the end of the world, though it seems like it at the time, and as long as you give it a really good try, you should be able to pass the HL exam.

• Like 5

Actually I am quite surprised with the feedback I got from you! I would never expect such a good response. Not only it boosted my confidence but also it helped me understand all the thiings around that sh*t. I really liked your story and I do appreciate your effort! If you lived nearby I would like to have a pint with you. Cheers mate!

It all depends on where you're from, Astrid. You need to check at IBO's website schools that offer IB Diploma. Afterwards you take your mobile phone and call each school asking whether they hold nov exam session or not. I am taking it in Poland.

Edited by Michał H.