TOK Presentation suggestions? (about love)

Vianca Mandalica

So I did my mock TOK presentation recently with the knowledge question "How do we know if love is real?", and the examiners said that the topic is too broad and suggested to narrow the topic. So far I've found a couple such as love according to different cultures, the existence of romantic love, etc but I'm still not very sure about it. I was wondering if you guys have any other ideas in mind.  :phone: Thanks in advance! 

To what extent can you define an action/feeling as love? How do you define love?

I think this is a very interesting topic. Most the time the hardest thing when talkign about love, is to define it. Everyone probably has a different meaning of love and how do we know that 2 people in 'love' feel the same towards each other etc. 

How would you link this to say, areas of knowledge. Think about what you would say about the ways of knowing, emotion and language, even sensory perception. 

• 3 weeks later...

i love it. You could talk about sciences and talk about the bain and how we change when we see the person we love. There are so many options. You should create a more specific question maybe with a situation, for example: How is it possible to kill the person you love? (we read a book in 9th grade in spanish called: "El tunel" by Ernesto Sabato and its about the question I mentioned). You could talk through psychology, through history about the different concepts of love. Make sure that your question does not have technical word of an area (ex. cerebellum). You must also counterargument your statements...maybe you could talk about how indigenous societies perceive love. 

You could think about what you want to talk about first and then formulate the question. Make sure that you don´t ask a yes/no question. Make it complex but with limitation.

I suggest you watch some ted talks on the topic: https://www.ted.com/topics/love