Blue18

To what extent was the emancipation proclamation based war efforts rather than the abolishment of slavery itself?

I know this question has been answered many times,  I am going to take another look at it a come up with my own conclusion (revisionist history). 

Any corrections to this question? Suggestions? better wording? 

Thanks

Actually, that's a really great IA topic - especially if you have a killer primary source that clinches it (a Lincoln diary, speech, or record of chamber discussions).

Okay, I just realized you're saying this for EE instead of IA, but I'll keep my last sentence. I think that is an amazing IA topic, perfect for what the IA wants. For an EE, I think it might be kind of weak. You need to be able to fill several thousand words about this topic, and this one has potential to do that, but you might be able to do better. I don't know how much slavery vs the war caused the Emancipation Proclamation, and I don't know how much you could say about that, but I know there are a ton of sources (and historiography) about whether or not the war itself was caused by slavery (read the first essay in This Mighty Scourge for a good summary and list of places to go to explore this idea). I think you could make the topic you have work, but you might consider broadening it some.

Also, I think you're missing a word. "To what extent was the emancipation proclamation based on war efforts rather than the abolishment of slavery itself?" Additionally, I'd change based to caused by or influenced by.

• Like 1