When Should You Get Started On CAS?

WhitneyGrace

You should start on CAS as soon as possible. It's a lot easier for the IB2 to get most of the hours done by then. I even know people who decided to finish ALL of their CAS hours in IB1 and it helped them tremendously because they had more time for exam preparation. There's not really any set time that you have to start doing it but it would be a good idea to do so as soon as possible  :P  :D

• Like 1

Go and find your CAS co-ordinator ASAP and see what your school's requirements are is my advice. Every school manages CAS differently, so you can only really ever rely on what your individual co-ordinator tells you. As an example, at my school it was mandated that at least half your hours had to be from IB2 - so the advice of the above member would have really messed me up if I'd done none in IB2 and found out very late! :P

As to when you should start it, count the hours as soon as you're eligible to start counting (some places I've heard of even let you backdate into the summer before IB1!) and the sooner you get it over with, the better it is. There's no right or wrong time to start, provided you get it done and ideally in such a way that it doesn't cause any disruption to the rest of your studies. It's nice to have one potentially stressful thing ticked off your list as complete, so when other stresses come up, you can deal with them instead of spending the hours standing unpacking smelly clothes in a charity shop or something - thinking about all the IAs etc. you have at home that you should have been doing instead! CAS is literally just about man-hours spent standing/moving doing something. It's a hard thing to make up for at the end - only 24 hours in the day and all that jazz!

• Like 1