What to write on unfamiliar topics?

A TOK essay is not so much information as it is inspirational; therefore the focus should be about knowledge in the Natural Sciences and how unpredictable results can affect the shared knowledge of the Natural Sciences. Consider that one may learn more from a failure than a success because a failure challenges accepted data whereas a success merely affirms what has already been affirmed.

PM me for further advice. 

TOK isn't really something you learn, it's just the application of common sense and reason. Forget TOK for a moment and forget the fact it's an essay and just ask yourself - when my results in science aren't as I predicted, what does that imply about my results and my understanding of the science?

Literally just use common sense and you'll be able to answer no problem - the answer IS as simple as the actual answer to that question. That there's something wrong with one or the other. Take TOK back into it, bearing in mind that TOK is about how we gain and use knowledge, and basically just explain how you used or gained knowledge whilst preparing for your experiment, conducting it and getting the results. Can't get more simple than that - people have a tendency to over-complicate TOK! Under normal circumstances you should be able to answer that question, so just go for it.