Help ! Choice of topic for EE

kolasinsia

Hello. I've chosen to write my Extended Essay in English B, but I am finding it really difficult to come up with a topic. I thought of writing about the significant drop in crime in New York City in the 1990s and Rudy Giuliani's role in achieving that. Do you think that a research question: "What was the cause of reduction of crime in New York City in 1990s?' is ok?

Write whatever you want in your interest area. Then you'll find a lot of information and enjoy writing. For instance, I am writing my EE for Business and Management. Honestly, I am doing pretty good. Cause I chose the topic which I liked. First, I got a very different topic. Afterwards, I asked my teacher and changed. 

Hi Kolasinsia,

Your topic, as phrased, is NOT suitable for a Group 2 EE.

You want to write your essay on a social/cultural aspect of your target-language, right? It falls under one of two possible categories

1) essays of a general cultural nature based on specific cultural artifacts (this seems to be the category you are aiming for)  or 

2) culture and society A: essays of a sociocultural nature with an impact on the language (another possible category for you)

Whichever category, you'll need to rethink your EE topic. Yours fits neither at the moment. 

Your are missing an essential ingredient/focus: language or artifact. You'll need to address one or the other -- or both in your EE. You'll need to rethink your topic.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1