Math SL - Internal Assesment: need help

Spu

Hey guys,

I am doing my IA about the proofs of pythagorean theorem and I am almost done with it until I figured it might be too easy for the level. My teacher told me a while ago that if the topic is too easy, I will not be able to achieve the highest grade possible.

The proofs I am doing are the vector proof and a dissection proof. I had consulted with my teacher and he confirmed that it is too easy. He told me that I should find a way to make it more mathematically challenging for my level (math sl)

I am out of ideas of how I could improve it, any help from you guys will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Well, it is a really unfortunate situation for you. I have to say that this topic is way too simple for a math IA, simply because there are tonnes of proofs already all over the internet; and thus it will be really hard for you to produce something of your own.

The only way to extend this topic that I can think of right now is to relate the Pythagoras theorem to the non-Euclidean space (i.e. curved space). Does the Pythagoras theorem still hold in such space?, etc, etc. But that might be a little bit too advanced for a SL student. However, if you are interested, go for it!

Otherwise, I strongly suggest that you change your topic to a new one. It won’t be a disaster, because you have loads of time left (your session is in May 2015). Try to get some inspirational ideas from the internet, or simply from your own life. For example, I was interested in ‘resonance’ when I encountered it in my physics course, so I did my IA on using differential equations to model the resonance of the wings of an airplane. So,…., try to look around you and find something interesting. If necessary, watch some amazing videos from ‘NumberPhile’ or ‘ComputerPhile’ on youtube to get some ideas from them.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I am doing my IA about the proofs of pythagorean theorem and I am almost done with it until I figured it might be too easy for the level. My teacher told me a while ago that if the topic is too easy, I will not be able to achieve the highest grade possible.

The proofs I am doing are the vector proof and a dissection proof. I had consulted with my teacher and he confirmed that it is too easy. He told me that I should find a way to make it more mathematically challenging for my level (math sl)

I am out of ideas of how I could improve it, any help from you guys will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

what help do you need friend

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys! so i have chosen my topic for IA math sl, and i chose "GDP" as my topic, do you think this topic will be so broad?and my investigation is will about the comparison between GDP (Gross domestic product) in Indonesia and Malaysia, and i think i will use a statistics and graph, do you think it will be okay for this topic?thanks (PLEASE HELP)