Extended Essay in Psychology

ksy

Hai there, 

So I've chosen to do my extended essay on psychology and I've practically got a million questions whilst doing so. 

Firstly, I need to know if my research question is too broad or too narrowed down: To what extent are biological and sociocultural factors involved in the formation of identities of adolescents? 

I've already started working on it and have found sufficient resources with the information needed but I am so worried that I'll lose marks for the question being quite vague as there are a vast number of topics that can be covered under that.  

Another question: is it appropriate to have one paragraph in first person point of view? 

I think that adding my opinion when reasoning for this choice of topic would make the essay more personal, more like my essay but I'm not sure if adding a paragraph of first person POV would still make it academic (?) 

please reply asap, I need to finish the essay soon. Thank you :)

-kesy

Edited by ksy

Firstly, I need to know if my research question is too broad or too narrowed down: To what extent are biological and sociocultural factors involved in the formation of identities of adolescents? 

I've already started working on it and have found sufficient resources with the information needed but I am so worried that I'll lose marks for the question being quite vague as there are a vast number of topics that can be covered under that.  

Frankly, it is way too vague. But, there is also a relatively easy way to avoid that - if you already have your resources, and know which factors you will consider, just include them in the title. For example, you could go with something like "To what extent is primary school environment involved in the formation of identities of adolescents". So, just say, already in the title, what do you want to do. :) 

Another question: is it appropriate to have one paragraph in first person point of view? 

Yes, but more in a sense of describing your personal interest on this topic (e.g. why did you decide to do that and not something else). You could also put your opinion somewhere, but don't go overboard, it's still supposed to be an academic research.

Good luck with your essay! :)