Help With Extended Essay Topic

behaaa

Hey guys, this is my first post :D I am in IB1 this year and so i will have to pick a topic to do an extended essay on soon. I have asked some of the seniors in my school about it,  and they all seem to recommend that i pick english for an EE subject, because its the easiest. But i am also considering doing an EE in biology, since i am planning to study biochemistry in UNI (so i think doing an EE in bio will be a valuable learning experience for me). So basically what i want to know is whether or not doing a biology EE is doable, and if so then how would i go about finding a good topic? What kind of work does doing an EE on Bio involve? Same for english. Thank you, in advance :D

I am in my first year of the IB diploma programme too and all I know is that for experimental sciences such as bio, chem and physics, it's best to perform an experiment. Apparently, history is another easy subject to do the EE in. For English, I THINK it would be kind of like a really in-depth literary analysis but I'm not entirely sure. 

Yeah, after thinking about it, I have decided to do it in Biology, since it would look great on a college application (studying and doing research in the field you are applying for). Plus i think i will enjoy biology more :P, never was a fan of literary analysis XD Now i just need to find a topic related to biochemistry...... Any ideas on how i might go about doing that?

• 2 weeks later...

At my school, the top scoring EEs were in History. Not many people do them on the sciences, however if you genuinely have an interest for the subject, it will give you more to write about! Also, I think for sciences the word count minimum is lower. I suggest consulting many secondary sources and conducting a thorough experiment. 

Edited by Willy Wonka

I cannot stress this enough but you really need to do something that you are passionate about. I am currently drafting my EE and I know that if I didn't choose something that I was passionate about I would have given up by now. it is also worth noting that because it is easy everybody will do it and you have more competition to be that one essay that stands out. Seriously do an essay you actually want to do.